Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 4

How to obtain fiscal quarter period name, earnings release as well as period start and end dates

I am looking to obtain the fiscal period name, start and end date as well as earnings release date for a set of tickers. I can obtain the earnings release date and period end date using the code below, but I am unsure how to get the actual fiscal quarter/period (i.e. FY19 Q1)

ek.get_data(['AAPL.OQ'],['TR.EventType','TR.EventType.date','TR.PreferredMeasureActValue.periodenddate'], {'SDate':'2018-01-01','EDate':'-1W','EventType':'RES','Frq':'FQ','Period':'FQ0'})

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidata
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

For this purpose rather than querying company events you're better off querying company reports general info, e.g.

ek.get_data('AAPL.O',['TR.ISOriginalAnnouncementDate',
                      'TR.ISPeriodEndDate','TR.ISPeriodEndDate.fpa'],
           {'Period':'FQ0;FQ-8'})
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 4

@Alex Putkov. Thank you for the answer. Would you happen to know why the TR.ISPeriodEndDate would be different than the TR.PreferredMEasureActValue.periodenddate for a given fiscal quarter? As an example, for AAPL.O, in FY2019Q2, your code gives a period end date of 3/30/19 vs. 3/31/19 (which is correct, I believe) for the code that I initially approved.

Also is there similar syntax that could be used to get the period start date?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

3/30/19 period end date is correct. It is taken from 10-Q filing. You can view the filing in Eikon application.

I raised case 07718458 with Refinitiv Helpdesk on your behalf for the inconsistency in fiscal period end date between company reports and I/B/E/S Estimates. The Helpdesk will look into the issue and get back to you with their findings.
I don't believe there's a field that provides fiscal period start date, but you may want to verify this with Refinitiv Helpdesk. In general any content questions or issues are best reported to Refinitiv Helpdesk. From my end I can suggest calculating fiscal period start date by adding a day to the previous fiscal period end date.

10q.png (64.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 4

Appreciate the help, @Alex Putkov.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.