Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 2 1 3

How can I retrieve historical total shares outstanding & total market cap for a spesific equity/index?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidatathomson-reuters
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @nyks

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.
Thanks,
AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

I cannot help but wonder how you define shares outstanding or market cap for an index? Simple sum of shares outstanding of the constituents? Weighted sum using the same methodology as used to calculate index value? Since S&P 500 is capitalization weighted, doesn't the index value represent market cap in a way? In any case I don't believe we carry the concepts of shares outstanding or market cap for an index. You can retrieve shares outstanding and market cap for each constituent and then aggregate them using the methodology of your choice. This said the best resource for content search and explanation questions such as this one is Refinitiv Helpdesk. This forum is dedicated to software developers using Refinitiv APIs and the moderators on this forum do not have deep expertise in every type of content available from Refinitiv products and services. Content expertise is available through Refinitiv Helpdesk.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
17.1k 80 39 63

Hi @nyks,

You can use the DIB - Data Item Browser to help you construct the details to query this specific information. For example:

ahs.png (28.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 2 1 3

@nick.zincone.1 thank you for response, I actually need this data for example .SPX , is it same or is there a way to find for .SPX ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.