Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

Newby needs c# class lib & console working example to retrieve internal source contributions

I'm trying to retrieve data from internal contributions in a c# project (class library, later to be referenced in a broader solution, presently in a simple solution where it's called by a test console app, for example's simplicity's sake i'm just trying to make it work in the console project alone)

Namely, i can retrieve (see sample code below) data that are under the "source" 'RSF' (which is typically the first argument of the more familiar RtGet functions), but my data are under an internal source 'INTPAR' and i cannot find any corresponding argument for this "source".

I referenced the EikonDataAPI (is it the best fit for my need?) as NuGet package (loading associated dlls, MS extensions, Deedle, ...) and i created an App Key from the Eikon monitor.

I can have this sample code working:

using System;
using EikonDataAPI;
using Deedle;

namespace ConsoleApp1
{
    class Program
    {
        static void Main(string[] args)
        {
            Console.WriteLine("hello");
            IEikon myEikon = Eikon.CreateDataAPI();
            myEikon.SetAppKey("xxx");
            var response = myEikon.GetData("EUR=", "PRIMACT_1");
            response.Print();
        }
    }
}

returning as expected

hello
     Instrument PRIMACT_1
0 -> EUR=       1,0882

thanks in advance for any help

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apic#rt-get
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @thomas.david,

How did it go, were you able to find out more and to progress toward a solution?

Your information may be of big help to future developers facing the same or similar question or issue.

Thanks,

-AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such. Thanks, AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @thomas.david

For RDP Library you can specify a service name

prices = rdp.StreamingPrices(session = mySession, 
    service = 'ELEKTRON_EDGE',
    universe = ['EUR=','CHF=', 'AED='],
    fields = ['BID', 'ASK','DSPLY_NAME', 'QUOTIM'])

OR

new ItemStream.Params().Session(session)
 .Name("EUR=")
 .WithService("ELEKTRON_EDGE")
 .OnRefresh((s, msg) => Console.WriteLine(msg))
 .OnUpdate((s, msg) => Console.WriteLine(msg))
.OnStatus((s, msg) => Console.WriteLine(msg))))

So, above I specified the service name ELEKTRON_EDGE.

In terms of permissions - you will need to discuss with your internal Market Data team or your Refinitiv account manager to get the permissions changed.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @thomas.david,

Can you please elaborate on the internal contributions part. Does your organization have an in house TREP and/or ATS. Where does this contribution service INTPAR exist and how do other applications access it?

icon clock
10 |1500

i used to access it with RtGet... checking out with market data admins.

thx for replying

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @thomas.david

And do you actually need to use Eikon API because you plan to access some other Eikon (non-realtime) data - or is that something you are already familiar with and hence the reason you want to use it?

OR does 'a C# / .NET API to consume contribute data from an internal service' sum up your key requirement?

icon clock
10 |1500

to your question :

" does 'a C# / .NET API to consume contribute data from an internal service' sum up your key requirement? "

yes it would, definitely

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hi @thomas.david,

EikonDataAPI is a .Net library for use with Eikon Data API. GetData access method is analogous to get_data access method, as documented in Eikon Data API Reference Guide, and does not allow for specification of source, source of data is set to be Elektron.

Agree with @Gurpreet., If your organization has an Enterprise product that includes access to INTPAR outside of Eikon, you could consider using Enterprise API, such as Elektron API Suite, to consume content from it or if .Net is the preferred approach, then , RFA.NET, to consume content.

If your organization has market data group or market data admin, they will have the details on your access, or Refinitiv Account team will be able to help with this info.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi <moderators only>

Natixis appears to have TREP, according to Salesforce:

https://refinitiv.my.salesforce.com/5001W00001Uz8Lh?srPos=2&srKp=500

However, not sure which location (there are many locations of Natixis) and not sure if this developer will be given access to it, so being careful on wording.

Thx for replying, checking out more adapted APIs and with mk data admin

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @thomas.david

Depending on your requirements, and if .NET is the only language you want to use - then as well as RFA.NET - you may also wish to explore the Refinitiv Data Platform library or the Websocket API.

RDP Library Overview and RDP Intro Article

Websocket API

The Websocket API is a raw API based on sending JSON requests to the server and getting back JSON responses. You can use any language that supports Websocket and JSON.

The RDP Library is an 'ease of use' layer around the Websocket API and is currently in Beta in .NET and Python versions.

The reason I mention the above is that they are our latest strategic APIs - whereas RFA.NET is feature complete / maintenance mode.

IF you need to consume several thousand highly active instruments then RFA.NET will most likely be the better fit. However, if you are consuming fewer / less volatile RICs then the RDP Library or Websocket API may be the better choice.

The Websocket API samples download includes some C# examples.

The RDP .NET examples are available on GitHub

Having said all the above, if you are able to use C# or Java then I would recommend you seriously consider using the Elektron Message API which is part of the ElektronSDK

icon clock
10 |1500

thanks again

RDP seems to offer the great advantage to enable me to try and run locally using desktop access linked to my eikon, while allowing to deploy for subsequent usage that will use other types sessions.

I tried and tested and got 2 pbs:

- now my simple example "EUR=","PRIMACT_1" is not working (i get a '403' error as if it wasn"t permitted)

- anyway, again i have no way to specify the "source". FYI if I use Eikon excel function RT(), i get it by specifying "RTFEED=INTPAR" in the options.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.