Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
5 3 4 3

Searching for vessel IMO via Python Data API

Hi!

I'd like to use the Python Data API to retrieve IMO numbers via the vessel names. As far as I understand, get_symbology returns the instruments RIC code provided you have an asset-specific code like an ISIN or CUSIP; while get_data allows you to retrieve the vessel name provided you have the IMO.

Is there a way in Eikon Data API where I can query vessel IMOs by providing the vessel names, and specifying the vessel sizes and/or products? I currently have an RSearch() formula in Excel that does that for me, but ideally I'd like to do this programatically in Python.

Thanks in advance!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apivessel
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @matthew.ang

Hopefully, version v1.0.0a3 of the RDP Python library should be on PyPI in the next 48hrs - https://pypi.org/project/refinitiv-dataplatform/

Codebook is currently on v1.0.0a2.1

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks @umer.nalla, looking forward to it!

Hi @matthew.ang

RDP 1.0.0a4 has been released on PyPi

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @matthew.ang,

Please refer to this relevant previous discussion thread. You can do so, not programmatically.

Hope this info helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @matthew.ang

You may consider using RDP Library on CodeBook.

Please launch CodeBook by typing ing "CODEBOOK" on Eikon Search Bar and press enter.

This is sample code to search by name or by cubic capacity:

ahs.png (92.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Thank you @chavalit.jintamalit, that's very useful. I attended a webinar on Codebook sometime within the last 2 weeks. Do you know if there's a way I can do this within my own local environment? (e.g. Jupyter Notebook or Spyder - running locally on my machine)

The current version of RDP Lib has not been released to PyPi.

This is still an old version at https://pypi.org/project/refinitiv-dataplatform/

(Using pip install refinitiv.dataplatform command)

So it is not the same version as RDP Library on CodeBook.

If you have feedback about your needs to use it on your local environment.

You may contact Refinitiv Helpdesk and ask them to raise your feedback to Product Management.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.