I can no longer connect to the Eikon Data API Proxy via the Python API because of the following error:
'API Proxy not available: 503 error code'
I have seen this error before in the past months, but only occasionally. A retry/restart usually solved the issue. Now it stopped working entirely. No amount of retrying/restarting helps.
I have checked the other questions on this forum from people with the same issue. Note that:
None of the above solves the issue.
As a sidenote: looking at a diff of your eikon Python library between 1.1.6 and e.g. 1.1.2, tells me that you are occasionally introducing breaking changes to the API proxy's behaviour without notifying users or providing useful error messages. This is poor practice and I strongly recommend against it, unless you want to overwhelm your support forum with questions like this.
Regardless, my particular issue does not seem rooted in library versions: I am using the latest version of the library.
I tried all versions of the Python library without success. In the end, it turned out that there was/is a bug in the Eikon API proxy software (i.e. the Eikon Desktop software, not the python library). An account manager 'targeted our account' for an updated version which was automatically installed after we restarted Eikon. Since then we are able to connect again using the Python API. I do not know if this update has been rolled out globally yet, so this may still be a problem for other people.
To investigate your issue, could you share more information like :
In addition, could you get from APIProxy.* log file (should be in C:\ProgramData\Thomson Reuters\Eikon Data\Logs\TRD\Eikon.yyyymmdd.hhmmss.p<id>):
Python 3.7.9 (default, Aug 31 2020, 07:22:35)
Eikon Desktop version:
Desktop 4.0.52 (4.0.52055)
installed on 2020-09-10 12:00:06:299
DATAAPIPROXY version from path:
C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\Eikon User\Cache\LibraryCache\Apps\REFINITIVHOLDINGS.EIKON.DATAAPIPROXY\126.96.36.199")
I assume this means DATAAPIPROXY version is 188.8.131.52
I tried again this morning, and it seems the library managed to connect one out of 3 tries. This is still unacceptable for my use case, but it may be useful information when debugging. It didn't work at all when I tried yesterday.
I've used the script that you linked, inserted my app key, and downloaded the latest version of the eikon library just to be sure.
When using port 9060 (as is hardcoded in the script), i got the following:
ConnectionRefusedError: [WinError 10061] No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
AFAIK this indicates that the proxy is not running on port 9060 on my machine.
When replacing 9060 with port 9000, I received:
API Proxy is not available
API Proxy is not available