Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 1

Problem with retriving historical fundemtal data

Hi ,

We are using historical data of MMM.N of the cash and cash equivalent line item from the balance sheet, however when we use the time-series function we only get partial data from 2015 forward, on other companies we get the full history , can you please help us with the issue

Thank you ,

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapi
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
10.1k 18 6 9

@barshalev Not sure what exact parameters you are using as you did not paste the code, but this works for me:

df,err = ek.get_data('MMM',['TR.F.CashCashEquivTot(SDate=0,EDate=-19,Period=FY0,Frq=FY).date','TR.F.CashCashEquivTot(SDate=0,EDate=-19,Period=FY0,Frq=FY)'])

df

I hope this can help.

1605797955043.png (162.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi thank you for the answer , we are using the following code:

ek.get_data('MMM',['TR.ISSourceDate', 'TR.Revenue.date','TR.Cash'],{'Scale': 6, 'SDate': '1980-01-01', 'EDate': 0, 'FRQ': 'FQ', 'Curn': 'USD','period':'FQ0'})

Can you please tell me what is the problem with this script?

Upvotes
10.1k 18 6 9

@barshalev the issue with that call is you had parameter values not encased in ''. Again I recommend using the cash and equivalents field I used above. See my code below:

df, err = ek.get_data('MMM',['TR.ISSourceDate','TR.Revenue.date','TR.Cash'],parameters={'Scale': '6', 'SDate': '1980-01-01', 'EDate': '0', 
                'FRQ': 'FQ', 'Curn': 'USD','period':'FQ0'})

df

I hope this can help.

1605803349318.png (98.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Ok I will try your script, but in the screenshot, you sent you also receive NaN value for MMM but in the Eikon GUI we can see that the data exists.
Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Ok, I will try your script, but in the screenshot, you sent you also receive NaN value for MMM but in the Eikon GUI, we can see that the data exists.

icon clock
10 |1500

@barshalev thats because I don't think TR.Cash is a valid fieldname - hence I recommend you to use the cash & cash equivalent field TR.F.CashCashEquivTot which will work as expected (see first code sample). You can check which fields are available using the Data Item Browser app (type DIB into Eikon search bar) - I strongly recommend you use this as your primary content navigation tool - as it provides field names, descriptions and all available parameter settings - as well as values if you provide an instrument. In the bottom right hand corner of that app it even creates the correct field for you based on the settings you select - so all you have to do is copy and paste that into your fields list.

Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Hi, thanks for your answer.

The parameter you suggested doe's not seem to be available in the eikon DIB.
We Know now that the item for cash and cash equivalent is the one you pointed but how can I tell what is the best data item for each parameter? and how can we know it for sure if I can't see this one?

icon clock
10 |1500

@barshalev apologies just saw this - there are two content navigators in Eikon - the first is the Data Item Browser app and the second is the Code Creator app. The Data Item Browser actually provides values as well as descriptions and parameters - so you can find the exact field you are looking for. In most eikon apps you can hover over any item name and next to it you will see a question mark '?' :

If you click that you will get the appropriate field name:

The second tool Code Creator is the next generation where you can visually select your query from all fields and parameters available and then it will create the python code for you, which you can either copy to a notebook or launch in CodeBook - our hosted python scripting environment. I hope this can help.

1606226210833.png (25.1 KiB)
1606226370875.png (61.8 KiB)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.