question

Upvotes
Accepted
38 6 9 11

RDP in Python not connecting despite valid App Key

Dear Sir or Madam,

I'm following up on the accepted answer posted here, and (after opening the desktop Eikon application and logging in) have run the steps below in Python.

import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
rdp.open_desktop_session('my_eikon_app_key_here')

Unfortunately, when opening the desktop session (i.e. line 2 above), Python stays in 'processing mode', i.e. nothing happens, even after one hour. I receive no error message, and Python continues to process this command.

I have the RDP library installed (version 1.0.0a7) and can import it fine. I can also connect to Eikon using the API fine (and thus my internet connection is working well). I also spoke with a Solutions Consultant in Refinitiv, who passed me their current App Key and together we saw that the same issue remained--thus it is not a problem with my App Key.

I was wondering if you had come across this issue before and if you had any ideas for how to resolve it?

With thanks and best regards,

pythonrdp-apirefinitiv-data-platformrefinitiv-data-platform-libraries
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

If a simple restart of your Python kernel does not address the issue, configure logging at debug level.

import logging
logging.basicConfig(format='%(asctime)s - %(name)s - %(levelname)s - %(message)s', level=logging.DEBUG)
import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
rdp.open_desktop_session('my_eikon_app_key_here')

This should provide the logging output (which is also written into a log file named refinitiv-dataplatform.YYYYMMDD.HH-MM-SS.log). Hopefully this log will provide a clue about what's happening.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.