Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 1

Real-Time Eikon Data [Java/WebSockets]

Hi If I am runninhg Eikon locally is it possible to retrieve real-time or historical data via the Java or WebSockets APIs? Secondly are there any regional ADS instances in the cloud that licensed users can connect to?
eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiwebsockets
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @rory.winston

In theory, it may be possible to connect to the Eikon API Proxy and open a Websocket connection to consume the Realtime streaming data. However, AFAIK this is not a supported model of usage - I will double-check with the Eikon API team and let you know. I certainly have not seen any documentation on how you would do this.

The other thing to bear in mind is that from a licensing point of view any data consumed from an Eikon system can only be used on that desktop - the data cannot be exported/distributed from the desktop into a server/database or other PC. Please speak to your Refinitiv Account team for more details.

I don't know your requirements, but please note that we do have the RDP Python and .NET libraries which can also connect to the Eikon desktop and consume both realtime and historical data - please see my article for further details and links etc. Note that the same restrictions apply regards to distributing data away from the Eikon PC.

If your implementation requires you to distribute the data you should look at the Refinitiv Data Platform offering as your data source - which also provides both realtime and historical data and has a different licence which does not restrict the data to Desktop usage only.

The Python and .NET RDP Libraries mentioned above can also consume the data from the Platform offering.

If you don't wish to use the RDP libraries - e.g. to use a different programming language - then you can consume realtime data using the raw Websocket interface from the Platform offering - as well as consuming historical data using a REST API interface.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

@rory.winston

Regards your second question - the Refinitiv Data Platform has various regional endpoints across the globe - your Refintiiv Account Team should be able to provide more details on their locations etc.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
24.4k 53 17 14

Hello @rory.winston

Regarding your second question, there is the Refinitiv Real-Time - Optimized endpoints deployed in various AWS cloud location. You can find more detail in section 2.6 "Refinitiv Real-Time - Optimized VIPs" of Refinitiv Real-Time - Optimized Install and Config Guide document (download page).

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 1

Thanks for the replies guys

So to confirm - it is possible to connect to a cloud-based endpoint using RFA and / or WebSockets ?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.