question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 3 2 0

Client_id, username and Machine ID for RDP API

Hi,

Do you have any documentation on the concept of Machine ID ,client ID and username? I would like to understand:

1) Username: Currently we have a trial account and connect via Postman using an username (my e-mail), password and client ID. These are also the parameters used to generate the authentication Token. What changes when we get a Production account? Is the username still an e-mail address? Or do we need to send the Machine ID (in this format: GE-A-00156333-X-XXX) in the parameter "username"? I have tried it, but with my trial account it only works with the e-mail, not with the Machine ID?

2) Account, Machine ID and Client_ID hierarchy: Regarding API Scope (entitlement), at which level are the entitlements defined? Account Level, MachineID/Username Level or Client ID level?

My question is, a customer (i.e. a bank) having one RDP API Account can have multiple Machine IDs and each Machine IDs can have multiple Client IDs. Is it possible to grant each Machine ID with different entitlements? Can the entitlement be even more granular and have one application ID with more/less scope than another Application ID?

3)Client_ID : overall what is the purpose of having the client ID?

Best regards,

Carlos Feres

rdp-apirefinitiv-data-platform
1611237601319.png (36.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

<AHS>

Checking with the EDS Gateway team to verify the client permission.

Upvote
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @carlos.feres3

Regards your MachineID and activation, you should have received an email similar to the one below

I will assume you will have done Step 1 - but can you confirm if you clicked on step 2 and set your (very) long password for the MachineID. If you did not, then please do so before trying the above test.

IF you have done the above and you still cannot test with the MachineID then this will need to be esclated to your account team to investigate why this is the case.

1611310595968.png (63.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks, you are right. I have a different password for the Machine ID. It works now with the correct password. Best regards, Carlos

Hello @carlos.feres3

Thank you for your update.

If the reply above was satisfactory in resolving your query, please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
17.3k 82 39 63

Hi @carlos.feres3,

The RDP API Quick Start guide provides some basic definitions around some of the terminology in your questions above.

In general, there are 2 IDs you received, an email ID, and a Machine ID. Both of these ID's are usernames but serve different purposes.

• The email ID is primarily used to access the resources within the API Playground, used for testing purposes such as Postman, etc.
  • The Machine ID should be your production ID.

The Client ID is the terminology used within OAuth Password Grant specification. Unfortunately, the name implies yet another ID which is why we refer to it as AppKey (or Application Key). The AppKey is simply used to identify a unique application for tracking purposes. So, a given user can have multiple AppKeys (client_id).

In terms of entitlements, it is based on the username (email ID and Machine ID). So, if you discover you need additional permissions, you would typically include both ID's in your request. That being said, it is entirely possible to have different permissions on the 2 user accounts (email ID and Machine ID), but I would imagine users would typically want to make them the same for testing reasons.

Lots of questions in there so I hope this helps :-)

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 3 2 0

Thanks for the explanation. One last question. As I said I tried to request a token using the MachineID as the Username in Postman :

and I get this:

Why is that? Shouldn't this work? I basically need a way of checking with my trial account the setup for the production account. I need to know this as we will code in our software the accepted characters/format for the "Username" parameter.

Thanks,

Carlos

1611252073892.png (8.8 KiB)
1611251921559.png (6.4 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @carlos.feres3,

Your Machine ID should work within Postman - I just tried mine without issue. The authorization does not distinguish between an invalid ID or an invalid password. When you received your Welcome email, containing your ID's, I believe you need to activate your Machine ID. I don't know the entire process flow but will reach out to a colleague to get his input.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.