Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
20 0 0 1

News from getnewsheadlines() coming in with fixed time delay. Missing permission?

I'm using get_news_headlines() from EIKON API to get news headlines. Everything works great but I'm only able to extract news with some fixed time delay (around -1d). I'm not getting this while I'm looking at news directly thorough News Monitor in Eikon. Do I miss some sort of permission?

I contacted Eikon desk about it but without any luck.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apinews
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
20 0 0 1

Thanks @Alex Putkov. @jason.ramchandani for helping. I did some checks and the issue was as you pointed out. Not all news sources are included inside EIKON API. Cheers!

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
10.2k 18 6 9

@Jakub So the get_news_headline API call should be up-to-date, please see below a screenshot I took of the latest Tesla news - I took the snap a few minutes ago and it was current.

ek.get_news_headlines('TSLA.O and LEN')

Where you might see differences between the NEWS monitor - which is a streaming realtime monitor - is in the number of sources. Not all of our almost 10,000 news sources are delivered via the Eikon get_news_headlines API I believe. To get a full detail of sources covered please raise a content query with the team. I hope this can help.

1611590859644.png (352.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
39.4k 77 11 27

I don't believe there are permissions that control the capability to retrieve latest news headlines using Eikon Data API. Could you give an example of the differences you see in the results returned by the News Monitor app and by the get_news_headlines method? Run the request using the same news search expression and take a screenshot of both the News Monitor and the dataframe returned by the get_news_headlines method. Mind that by default News Monitor app returns news headlines from more sources than are available through Eikon Data APIs, hence some differences in the results are expected. But not the way you describe. Make sure that the results in the screenshots of both News Monitor and the dataframe returned by get_news_headlines function show at least 20 headlines or so. If the results include less than 20 headlines, it may be hard to compare them.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.