Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted

Latest version of Eikon Data APi fails to retrieve news headlines when using escape characters

One of my clients is trying to use Eikon Data API to retrieve the news headlines from these keywords he uses on Eikon news app, "R:PGA190 AND "STRAITS" AND "JET" AND ( "SELLS" OR "BUYS" )". However, when use this news keyword on API, it doesn't return the expected results on my machine with Eikon Data API v1.1.8. On the other hand, my colleague can get the data with exact keywords / code, but he's on v.1.1.7. Can somebody advise on this change? (I tried to use the raw string, and also escaped it, no difference.) Please refer to the attached screenshots for more info. I intentionally want to use "JET" with double quotes instead of JET without double quotes (for JET/Kerosene keyword search). In case I use wrong escapes, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

microsoftteams-image.png

1628757294887.png

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apinews
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @witoon.charoensakworakul ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is one of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@witoon.charoensakworakul

This is a known issue with the latest versions of EDAPI lib and EDAPI module in RDP Lib. The issue is being fixed, and the fix will be included in a future version of EDAPI lib and EDAPI module in RDP Lib. In the meantime the only workaround is to rollback to an earlier version of EDAPI lib that doesn't have the problem (EDAPI v1.1.7 or below).

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@witoon.charoensakworakul Hi I am checking with the dev team as this should yield the correct news set but it does not:

q1 ="\""+ "Source:PLTS" + " AND "  + "\"STRAITS\"" + " AND " +  "\"JET\"" + " AND " + "(" + "\"BUYS\"" + " OR " + "\"SELLS\"" +")"+"\""

print(q1)

df = ek.get_news_headlines(q1,count=100)
df

1628770415259.png

1628770415259.png (398.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes

@jason.ramchandani thanks for your response. Any idea why the results are so different from the news app?

1628781305276.png

1628781305276.png (248.2 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes

@Alex Putkov. Noted with thanks. Where I can find more info about release schedule of EDAPI?

icon clock
10 |1500

Here's the JIRA for this issue:
https://jira.refinitiv.com/browse/EAPI-1273

Upvotes
10.2k 18 6 9

@witoon.charoensakworakul So as per Alex's comment - if you roll back to 1.1.7 the code I posted should work fine.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes

Noted. Thank you very much to you all. @jason.ramchandani @Alex Putkov.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.