Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 2

Historical guidance data corrupt or missing. why?

Hi I am trying to read in historical company guidance data from Eikon, but am getting data and related date/timestamps that are either repeated or missing in some cases. I am not sure if this is because I am using the wrong formula and would ask for your help.

This is the code I am using to read in the historical guidance data:

Ticker = 'INTC.O'

start_date = '2010-01-01'

end_date = '2021-08-27'

#Get company Revenue guidance

fields = ["TR.GuidanceMeasure", "TR.GuidanceLowValue", \

"TR.GuidanceHighValue", "TR.GuidanceDate",

"TR.RevenueActSurprise"]

rev_guide_df, err = ek.get_data([Ticker], fields, \

{'GuidMeasure':'REV', "SDate":start_date, "EDate":end_date, "Period":"FQ1", "Frq":"FQ"})

The missing company guidance for certain days is somewhat understandable. it could be that the company did not provide one. I just wanted to check if that is how you format your data. But, what is less clear is why the dates are the same for a different set of guidance. Is it because the co. raised the guide? If that is the case, how can there be a "surprise" related to that number, if there was no reporting for the guide that was upgraded during the quarter. Can you please explain how to interpret the raw data output?

1630510605320.png

eikoneikon-data-apirefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidataguidance
1630510605320.png (52.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in answering your question?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,
AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

@andrej.krneta
Adding other fields from the same category would help you better understand the data. Taking the guidance released on 2011-04-19 as an example, adding TR.GuidanceAcctType and TR.GuidanceDataForm fields would tell you that the range of 12.35-13.35 billion refers to proforma revenue while the range of 12.3 - 13.3 bullion refers to GAAP revenue. Adding TR.GuidanceSpeaker and TR.GuidanceDocType fields will tell you that 12.8 billion single value comes from the call transcript while proforma and GAAP ranges come from the press release. Finally TR.GuidanceText field provides the text excerpt where the numbers were mentioned, which is probably the most helpful in understanding what exactly these numbers represent and how they came about.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 1 2

Thank you. That is very helpful.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.