Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 1 1 3

How to retrieve the market share (for Telecom companies)

I am looking to analyse the market share of the top 10 companies of the global Telecom market, and how it has fluctuated over the years, to produce my own analysis of the market fluctuations by using as many timepoints as possible.

Investopedia defines market shares as follows: "Market share is the percent of total sales in an industry generated by a particular company. Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period."

Is data like that available through Eikon? And for what time segments? Daily? Quarterly? Yearly? It should be, as in the post How to retrieve the market share & total shares outstanding two questions were asked, and this is essentially the same as the second, where someone from Refinitiv helped that person, and was about to post an example of how to do it - but I see no example being posted.

My specific case:

Sector/Industry: Telecoms; unit: company market share (Company Sales/Total Market Sales) for top 10 (or at least 5) companies; with multiple timepoints (at least quarterly for 2017-2021?)

How do one do (what codes to use), to access that data from TR Eikon (+download into Excel)?

eikonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikontime-series
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @sonny.jakobsson ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes, please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @sonny.jakobsson ,

Let me try to be helpful by discussing how I would approach this requirement (as I have mentioned before, I am a developer and do not possess deep expertise in Eikon/RW content):

I would divide the task onto two sub-tasks and use Eikon/Refinitiv Workspace tools to work on the sub-tasks.

1. First, would use Eikon/RW Screener tool to help deterline the instruments that are top Telecom industry. Here is a caveat. The top 10 in Telecom are very much dependent on how you define the top and likely have changed slightly over several years, here is what I did:

screentelecom.gif

I have filtered per Industry Telecom using one of several available industry identifiers and selected last year Revenue of greater then 15 billions. There are 17 instruments returned, chances are that in different years, top 10 by revenue have differed, but likely with this filter, they are included in the hits. You can use the same approach and tune the filtering via Screener to your requirements.

2. Next, would use Eikon/RW Code Creator tool to help define the fields and the parameters for requesting via DAPI python. Here is a caveat. As sector/Industry definition differs, I could see no available totals per industry/sector. Per company:

codecrtelecom.gif

Consequently, the code would look something like this:

screen_exp = ('SCREEN(U(IN(Equity(active,public,primary))), IN(TR.GICSIndustryCode,"501010","501020"),'
              'TR.F.TotRevenue(SDate=0D,Period=FY0,Scale=9)>=25, CURN=USD)')

df, err = ek.get_data(screen_exp,
                     ['TR.CommonName','TR.GICSIndustry'])
df
list = list(df['Instrument'])
list
df3, err = ek.get_data(
    instruments = list,
    fields = [
        'TR.F.RevGoodsSrvc','TR.F.RevGoodsSrvc.date']
    parameters = {'SDate':0,'EDate':-23,'Period':'FQ0','Frq':'FQ'}

)

display(df3)

Resulting in:

<screenshot of result>

3. Next, if as you assume a set of criteria that would define companies that are top of industry/sector, you could add their Sales numbers and come up with the total.

You can involve Refinitiv content experts via Refinitiv Helpdesk to help you with content. If you have the formula to use, you can convert it to EDAPI code, or we can give a hand with converting.

screentelecom.gif (292.6 KiB)
codecrtelecom.gif (187.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @sonny.jakobsson ,

I understand you are looking to identify market share for top 10 Telecom companies over time and download this content into Excel.

As mentioned by @Alex Putkov.1 at the bottom of the previous discussion thread you have had a chance to review, the very best resource for content related queries for customers is Refinitiv Content Helpdesk, which you can reach by using Contact Us capability in Refinitiv Workspace/Eikon application or via Refinitiv Helpdesk Online -> Content -> Eikon selection.

---

To my best understanding of the previous discussion that has taken place, the company market share information is not available through Eikon/RW (I would still suggest to fully and directly confirm this with the content experts, as I am a developer).

You can request and compare on market capitalization, shares outstanding, total revenue, numerous other stats that are available through Eikon/RW; and this forum would be of most help to you if you are interested in, and have questions about, doing this with Eikon Data API python.

Hope this information helps

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 1 1 3

According to the previous answer it was assumed that it was possible, and there would be an example to be posted - it might be that the helper found it too difficult, since it seems that Market Share (of sales) doesn't seem to be something you calculate for people.

But, I do believe the components are available - and you mentioned that information about revenue should be available, so could you possibly help me with the codes for retrieving:

1) Total revenue from sales in Global Telecoms sector/industry, quarterly (2015-2021)

2) Revenue from sales from companies in the Telecoms sector/industry, quarterly (2015 - 2021), listed per company, with company name

What codes do you use for retrieving this data?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Continuing with the screenshot of the result:

rev.gif

rev.gif (58.7 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
3 1 1 3

Thank you Zoya, I do believe that was enough of an answer for me to see the complexity in the issue - That it is difficult to define what Industry indexing that would be feasible, especially since not all companies are registered in all indexes.

The first search you did for Telecom companies did not hit any of the main players on that market according to the Dell'Oro classifications, so I did a bit of exploring, realising that this is a very complex field, as even though I could find the names of all the top 10 according to Dell'Oro, it was not easy as they were not listed in all indexes, and could even be filtered out by the Revenue filter function. (Probably due to lack of information - didn't check if the code worked as I had no use of that data, but the code seem to look, good if the selection was what I wanted.)

Also, they were in several different GICS Sub-Industry Name categories, where some were in Industrial Conglomerates, some were in Communications Equipment, some in Techology Hardware, Storage & Peripherals, and the largest one, Huawei, wasn´t listed there at all. Also checked out the TRBC index that had greater covering, the SIC index that was worse than GICS, and gave up on the ICB index when none of the Huawei companies were listed there.

Where another aspect comes into play - I found 471 companies named Huawei, where there were lacking data for the majority of them. (Where none of them had ISIN or RIC identification codes, and only 77 had any Revenue registered, even if there was one more that at least registered that they had $0 revenue.) And 391 with Nokia in their names (which also included the Nokian companies that I should exclude from there).

Gave up a bit after that, as it seem to be difficult to define exactly which company you are looking for, as the Industry Indexes are not that helpful or covering, as well as that the companies listed do a lot of other things than just Telecoms, and that for a proper analysis one need to check each company individually and see how large parts of the sales that they report for each of their product segments.

The functions are there, including functions for market totals, but to define the participants on the market, as well as knowing how much of their income is from selling what kind of products and services, there is where it becomes more difficult to so any kind of serious market analysis. I see now, that Dell'Oro need to do some serious work to be able to create their quarterly reports.

The Screener tool was useful for exploring to see what kind of information was available where, but was a little bit buggy, as well as clunky as you often failed to find any hits at all in some searches, where there were no data of that kind in that database - or it just was unable to load. (Maybe there is some kind of limit of max hits too?)

Maybe there is some index somewhere that captures the Telecom market better, that would help with selecting what companies and/or subsidiaries that would be interesting to retrieve data from (or do it manually and see if there is Indentifiers available to use them as Instruments). If so, I do believe that the code and the above answer was correct.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @sonny.jakobsson ,

You are absolutely correct. This is more of selecting an approach to take, and fine-tuning it to your specific requirements, rather then a recommended steps to take in code.

If you would like to explore more on industry selection and field filtering that would work best for your specific use case, you may wish to look into:

CODECR -> "Industry"

industry.gif

this would yield the list of the available industry identifier fields.

hope this helps

industry.gif (155.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.