Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 1 3

Getting started with Eikon API in Python - first data pull

Hi,

I've just got myself set up with the Eikon API and am trying to pull some very simple data, link below:

http://emea1.apps.cp.thomsonreuters.com/cms/popout?pageId=uk-gas-stor-prompt-total&brickId=15&navid=10668&appHitsAppNameFromNav=Energy-Gas-United_Kingdom&metaFilterIdForPopOut=none

It's basically a table showing the capacity of UK gas storage.

Really dumb question but how do I write the code in Python to pull this? What are the steps I would take generally if I have a piece of information that I want to extract? What function would I use, how would I reference the data I am interested in?

Sorry for the basic Q - once I get myself up and running I'll figure it out.

eikoneikon-data-apipythondata
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@sooraj.soin

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@sooraj.soin

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
17.3k 82 39 63

Hi @sooraj.soin

If you are new to the APIs for Eikon/Refinitiv Workspace, I would encourage you to look at the examples for the Refinitiv Data Library for Python as a guide to understand how to retrieve data. As a start, look at the Pricing snapshots and Fundamental & Reference data example.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
22.1k 59 14 21

Hello @sooraj.soin,

The first step would be to follow the Quickstart and step-by-step Tutorial links at the top of this page to learn how to use the Eikon Data API.

After you have finished the quickstart and have a working environment, you can checkout the elaborate code samples here - https://github.com/search?q=org%3ARefinitiv-API-Samples+Eikon.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hello @sooraj.soin

Just want to add more information about the Eikon Data API resources, there are step-by-step tutorials with videos on this Python Quants Video Tutorial Series link that should be helpful.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.