For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 1 1

'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 22: invalid start byte

When testing websocketapi example using python for market_price, I have encountered an error 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 22: invalid start byte.

I have tested the same using the wsapi application tool and I was able to retrieve the market price using my hostname and port 15000 successfully. However, I end up getting an error "'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 22: invalid start byte" when using python.

python market_price.py --hostname "myhostname" --port "15000"

'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0x80 in position 22: invalid start byte

WebSocket Closed

Could you please assist?

pythonwebsocketsmarket-price
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @nitin.jagwani

Please advise which RIC code(s) you are subscribing to when you see the above error.

Hello @nitin.jagwani

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@nitin.jagwani

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
1.3k 3 2 4

Hi @nitin.jagwani ,

We detected same issue when we use websocket-client lib.
(see https://websocket-client.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq.html#i-get-the-error-utf8-codec-can-t-decode-byte-0x81-in-position-0)
It can be fixed by overriding websocket.read_headers function to replace 'utf-8' decoding with 'ISO-8859-1' decoding.

import websocket
def my_read_headers(sock):
    status = None
    status_message = None
    headers = {}
    trace("--- response header ---")

while True:
        line = recv_line(sock)
        trace(line)
        line = line.decode('ISO-8859-1').strip()
        # line = line.decode('utf-8')
        line = line.strip()
        if not line:
            break
        trace(line)
        if not status:

status_info = line.split(" ", 2)
            status = int(status_info[1])
            if len(status_info) > 2:
                status_message = status_info[2]
        else:
            kv = line.split(":", 1)
            if len(kv) == 2:
                key, value = kv
                if key.lower() == "set-cookie" and headers.get("set-cookie"):
                    headers["set-cookie"] = headers.get("set-cookie") + "; " + value.strip()
                else:
                    headers[key.lower()] = value.strip()
            else:
                raise WebSocketException("Invalid header")

trace("-----------------------")

return status, headers, status_message

websocket.read_headers = my_read_headers

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Hi

This issue still persists, and I just encountered it when streaming through a platform-session, where the utf-8 decoding caused trouble with my particular application-id.

I realize that managing the WebSocket library is out of scope on this forum, however, I would suggest that the RD library incorporate a temporary handling of this error, so that end-users don't have to bother with it.

Details on my specific case.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1673861574375.png

1673861574375.png (88.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.