question

Upvotes
45 4 3 9

DSDataRequest - large volumes of data going OUT of the network

I am using ThomsonReuters.DswsApi DSDataRequest and have run a few times (five or six) for an Index and maybe 60 data columns

So out going data should be small enough. However our network is alerting us of large volumes of data going OUT of the network within a short period of time (1GiB+) to datastreamwide.refinitiv.com

Any idea why this is happening ?

DSDataRequest reqDSRequest = new DSDataRequest()

{

Instrument = new DSInstrument(arrSecurities),

DataTypes = new DSDataTypes(arrColumns),

Date = new DSSnapshotDate(DSDateType.Literal(DSDateLiterals.LatestDate))

};

DSDataResponse resDSResponse;

resDSResponse = DSClient.DataService.GetData(reqDSRequest);

Thanks

Fergal

datastream-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@fergal.twomey

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

<AHS>

I found the email thread that Alex (AM) had been discussing this with them on Friday 29 July 2022 here https://refinitiv.lightning.force.com/lightning/r/EmailMessage/02s8Z00001s1J1gQAE/view

Hence I emailed Ward, Alexander, and Gajjar, Hitesh (AM and CSM of this client) to let me know the conclusion of the discussion and give suggestions on how we should answer the client in this case.

<AHS>

got a reply from Hitesh mentioning that "This has been sorted out.". Hence, I'm closing this thread

Upvotes
5.8k 21 2 6

Hi @fergal.twomey,

May I ask:

Are you coding this in JAVA?

What is the list of instruments and fields you are requesting exactly?

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi - it's in C#

Running for an index, and then for approx 300 stocks. About 50 columns - GICS classifications (sector, industry, industry groups etc and their codes), market values, prices etc.

The outgoing data I would have thought would be very small

Upvotes
5.8k 21 2 6

Hi @fergal.twomey, Have you had a look at the DSWS product page on the developers forum? It contains a link to the usage and limits document. Specifically, it looks like the data limit is reached with your call, no?

https://developers.refinitiv.com/content/dam/devportal/api-families/eikon/datastream-web-service/documentation/manuals-and-guides/dsws-for-desktop---user-stats-and-limits_0.pdf

a) 10 instruments x 10 datatypes

b) 50 instruments x 2 datatypes

c) 2 instruments x 50 datatypes

icon clock
10 |1500

Sorry I checked, it is 50 (or less) datatypes at a time, and one instrument (it is an Index name)

When running for example 300 sedols, we split up to to two instruments at a time.

Anyway we are getting data back, there is no issue there, there is no Datastream error.

The issue is our network is alerting us of large volumes of data going OUT of our network within a short period of time (1GiB+) to datastreamwide.refinitiv.com.

However it's hard to see how a request of 300 sedols and 50 data column names could be considered a large volume of data. I wonder is the DSDataRequest very big regardless of teh instrument and datatypes been passed

Upvotes
45 4 3 9

Sorry I checked, it is 50 (or less) datatypes at a time, and one instrument (it is an Index name)

When running for example 300 sedols, we split up to to two instruments at a time.

Anyway we are getting data back, there is no issue there, there is no Datastream error.

The issue is our network is alerting us of large volumes of data going OUT of our network within a short period of time (1GiB+) to datastreamwide.refinitiv.com.

However it's hard to see how a request of 300 sedols and 50 data column names could be considered a large volume of data. I wonder is the DSDataRequest very big regardless of teh instrument and datatypes been passed

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
56 1 0 1

Hi @fergal.twomey, it would appear that your access ID is being shared. The owner of this ID is Eoin Fahy. You are requesting much more than 300 hundred sedols on this ID and under 50 datatypes on a daily basis. We will need to block your usage until this security breach is investigated, Please speak with your account manager to speak about your next steps.

icon clock
10 |1500

This is a production environment - it is not appropriate to block our access!

How is this an accepted answer ? The answer has noting to do with the question ?
Hello @fergal.twomey

Sorry, I am contacting the Datastream team to look into the issue.

Hello @fergal.twomey

The Datastream team confirms that the new IDs were created for additional team members and recommend you contact your Refinitiv account manager.
Hope this helps

How does creating new IDs answer the question posed ?

I posed a question...during the discussion it was (incorrectly) assumed there was a security breach so our access was switched off, which affected our live systems. It has since been switched on, and yes, extra ids created.

However the original question above remains unanswered?

Show more comments
Upvotes
56 1 0 1

There is a security breach with this ID. Please speak with your account manager to regain access as soon as possible.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
45 4 3 9

What is the security Breach - we are permissioned for10000 stocks. Eoin Fahy's id is used for the process.

I am putting in a technical support question, and your response is to block our production id which is now causing a production issue!!!!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.