For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 1 2

Does Elektron Websocket API support Warm Standby?

Does Elektron Websocket API support Warm Standby? I know EMA and ETAC/C++ support Consumer Warm Standby Natively, but does Elektron Websocket API support it, or can it be implemented programmatically via a Websocket application? If so, are there any examples?

elektron-sdk#technologywebsocketswarm-standby
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you both @Jirapongse and @Gurpreet for your response. @Gurpreet , that was going to be my next question. What are the complexities of establishing and maintaining multiple websocket connections and do we have any examples of creating "login generic messages" in JSON, required to inform the provider of its active/standby state?
Hi @ron.bove, I couldn't find any example which demonstrates the warm standby. I can try to cook something up, if you need - which language should it be in and what is the timeframe.
Thanks @Gurpreet, At this point we are just trying to confirm that its technically feasible, using the Websocket API, which it appears to be, and what's the relative complexity to implement such a solution. We appreciate the offer but its not necessary right now.
It shouldn't be too complicated. I will work on a sample when I get time - would be good to have it around in the dev portal.
Hi @ron.bove ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text on the left side of the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @ron.bove,

I have created a warm standby sample and emailed it to you. Please let me know if you have any questions. Later, I will upload it to the dev portal as well.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
79.1k 250 52 74

@ron.bove

Thanks for reaching out to us.

It should be if the WebSocket server supports Warm Standby. You can check this from the login refresh message sent by the server.

{
        "ID": 1,
        "Type": "Refresh",
        "Domain": "Login",
        "Key": {
            "Name": "...",
            "Elements": {
                "SupportStandby": 1,
                "SupportStandbyMode": 3,
            }
        },
        }
    }

1675733964034.png

If the server supports Warm Standby, you can use WebSocket API to implement this feature in the client's application.

You can see the sample messages from the postman examples. For more information, please also refer to the Introduction to Refinitiv Real-Time SDK Warm Standby Feature article.

I hope that this information is of help.

1675733964034.png (58.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @ron.bove,

Jirapongse has provided a comprehensive answer - but I would like to emphasize that WebSocket is not an API, but a protocol specification. Hence, maintaining multiple connections and switching from standby to active etc, is not automatically handled for an application, but has to be explicitly coded in.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
25.3k 87 12 25

FYI:

I was looking into this earlier and did note that the ADS / RTC Sys Admin manuals (v 3.6.3) state that Warm Standby is only supported for RSSL type connections:

ADS Sysadmin manual section 20.2

1675788404703.png

A similar statement is present in the RTC 3.6.3 document (section 7.3)

1675788404703.png (16.9 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Good catch - only way to find out is to try it out.
Upvotes
22.1k 59 14 21

Ok, I have tried a few things and confirmed that warm standby works with websockets. I will formulate this into a working sample.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.