question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 1 0 2

Docu for RHistoryAPI

Hi! Where can get a documentation for the RHistoryAPI using VBA/Excel? Without that new code is hard to develop

eikoneikon-com-apidocumentation
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

Hi @thomas.kursawe,

Thanks for the feedback. We are uploading a more thorough documentation on the portal now. It should be available in the Documentation tab for COM APIs for use in MS Office tomorrow. This documentation will contain description for all classes and interfaces available through RHistory API together with their properties, methods and events.

https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/eikon-apis/com-apis-use-microsoft-office/docs

In the meantime I can answer the specific questions you raised here.
- what string parameter to use when creating a query (HistoryManager.CreateQuery)

Alex: You're referring to custom classes implemented in the example. These custom classes demonstrate one way of using RHistory API, but the classes themselves are not part of the API, and therefore are not documented. You can create as many of these or similar classes of your own as you wish. Before you start looking at the custom classes in the example, I suggest you look at the tutorial I mentioned in my previous response. I may be wrong, but I have a very strong impression that you downloaded the example and right away tried to follow the code in it, but that you didn't read the tutorial. Perhaps you didn't even realize that there is tutorial text on the page underneath the embedded video? The tutorial provides a simple example of RHistory API usage. The code used in the tutorial is also available in the example spreadsheet you downloaded. This code is in Sheet01(Tutorial 9 - RHistoryAPI). It's a much simpler example than the one in the next module Sheet02(Tutorial 9 - RHistoryAPI Class), which uses custom classes.

- what happens when subscribing a query and how to the result. I only see that the query is subscribed and then I see an output on the function "DisplayArray" using a Variable a_historyTable. I can't see where this table gets the data.

Alex: All Eikon COM APIs provide asynchronous data retrieval. After the query is subscribed one of the following three events will be raised: OnImage, OnUpdate or OnError. The example you've been looking at implements event handlers for all 3 events. The data retrieved is delivered as a parameter into OnImage or OnUpdate event handlers. These two events then call custom DisplayArray function implemented in the example. Again, before you delve into more complex example, I strongly suggest you follow the basic tutorial.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 1 0 2

@Alex Putkov
Hi Alex

this file I already worked with. And when working with that there are so many open questions, how to use whioch functions, which parameters, which syntax
For example
- what string parameter to use when creating a query (HistoryManager.CreateQuery)
- what happens when subscribing a query and how to the result. I only see that the query is subscribed and then I see an output on the function "DisplayArray" using a Variable a_historyTable. I can't see where this table gets the data.

Therefore I wasn't looking for an example sheet but for a docu which describes functionality, syntax, propertys and conditions for the used parameters and so on.

Where can I find this docu?

Thomas

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

Hi @thomas.kursawe

RHistory Reference Guide is now available from the Documentation tab for COM APIs for use in MS Office:

https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/eikon-apis/com-apis-use-microsoft-office/docs

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.