question

Upvotes
Accepted
81 1 2 9

v2 authentication migration

Hello colleagues,

We are following refinitiv migration [guide](https://developers.lseg.com/en/article-catalog/article/webSocket-api-rto-v2-authentication-migration-guide) and have a trouble to connect to RTO via websockets.

Here is code snippet in python:

import websockets
import json
import asyncio

PING_TIMEOUT = 40

def _make_login_request(auth_token: str) -> dict:
    return {
        "ID": 1,
        "Domain": "Login",
        "Key": {
            "NameType": "AuthnToken",
            "Elements": {
                "ApplicationId": "1",
                "Position": "127.0.0.1",
                "AuthenticationToken": auth_token
            }
        }
    }

async def _consumer(websocket) -> None:
    print("Starting messages consumer...")
    try:
        async for raw_message in websocket:
            message_json = json.loads(raw_message)
            print(f"<<< incoming {message_json}")
    except websockets.exceptions.ConnectionClosed:
        print(
            "Message consumer stops because websocket disconnected."
        )
    finally:
        print("Messages consumer stopped.")

async def _send_message(websocket, message: dict):
    print(f">>> sending {message}")
    await websocket.send(json.dumps(message))

async def main() -> None:
    endpoint = "us-east-2-aws-3-sm.optimized-pricing-api.refinitiv.net"
    port = "443"
    token = OUR_SECRET_TOKEN
    async with websockets.connect(
            f"wss://{endpoint}:{port}/WebSocket",
                subprotocols=["tr_json2"],
                ping_interval=None,
                ping_timeout=PING_TIMEOUT,
            ) as websocket:
        req = _make_login_request(token)
        await _send_message(websocket, req)
        await _consumer(websocket)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    asyncio.run(main())

This method worked perfectly for V1. But now it does not work.

For the token we use Application ID from PAA tool and get error:

[{'ID': 1, 'Type': 'Status', 'Domain': 'Login', 'Key': {'NameType': 5, 'Elements': {'AuthenticationErrorCode': 1026, 'AuthenticationEr
rorText': 'Request for token validation failed:Authentication server did not contain "active" in response'}}, 'State': {'Stream': 'Closed', 'Data':
 'Suspect', 'Code': 'UserAccessToAppDenied', 'Text': 'Authentication failed (1026, Request for token validation failed:Authentication server did no
t contain "active" in response).'}}]

Then we tried access token which we obtain with `https://api.refinitiv.com/auth/oauth2/v2/token`. Got this error:

[{'ID': 1, 'Type': 'Status', 'Domain': 'Login', 'Key': {'Name': '<here is token>'}, 'State': {'Stream': 'Closed', 'Data':
 'Suspect', 'Code': 'Error', 'Text': 'GE-XXX', unknown to system.'}}]

Where XXX - our service id in the PAA tool. We tried to change ApplicationId to GE-XXX but it did not work.

Please, help us with this problem.

Kind regards.

python#technologywebsockets
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
27k 65 17 14

Hello @d.alishev

I did a quick test with the given code and the access token from my Version 2 Authentication credential.

curl  -X POST \
  'https://api.refinitiv.com:443/auth/oauth2/v2/token' \
  --header 'Accept: */*' \
  --header 'Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded' \
  --data-urlencode 'client_secret=my_client_secret' \
  --data-urlencode 'client_id=my_client_id' \
  --data-urlencode 'grant_type=client_credentials' \
  --data-urlencode 'scope=trapi'

The access token can connect to RTO both "us-east-2-aws-3-sm.optimized-pricing-api.refinitiv.net" and "ap-southeast-1-aws-3-sm.optimized-pricing-api.refinitiv.net" endpoints successfully.

The error message 'Authentication failed (1026, Request for token validation failed:Authentication server did not contain "active" in response).' is generated from the RTO server. Regarding your "For the token we use Application ID from PAA tool and get error:", could you please clarify this message? An application should use access token that received from the RDP Authentication (/auth/oauth2/v2/token) that logged in with client_id and client_secret.

• Note: The V2 client_id is not the same value as V1 client_id

Can you try your V2 credential with the market_price_rdpgw_client_cred_auth.py example?

The 'Text': 'GE-XXX', unknown to system.' error message in the WebSocket Login response message indicates that the WebSocket server does not recognize that GE-XXXXXX client_id. This message is generated from the RTO side, so I strongly suggest you contact the RTO support team directly to verify this issue on the server side. You can submit a support ticket to the RTO support team via https://my.refinitiv.com/content/mytr/en/helpandsupport.html website.

rrto-ticket.png

rrto-ticket.png (22.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
81 1 2 9

"For the token we use Application ID from PAA tool and get error:", could you please clarify this message?

It was the first recomendation from refinitiv manager. Then, we used V2 Access token and got an error with 'Text': 'GE-XXX', unknown to system.'. I will be glad to try your python script, but could you clarify what options should I use? There are a lot of unknown to me parameters: standbyhostname, discovery_url, region and etc.

I cant login to the provided link https://my.refinitiv.com/content/mytr/en/helpandsupport.html. Seems like endless redirection.

So, for now I'm going to try to execute provided script and checking RTO help page.

Cheers.

icon clock
10 |1500

I finally managed to submit ticket

Upvotes
81 1 2 9

@wasin.w

I was able to run your script. Output:

➜  refexample poetry run python refexample/main.py

2024-06-28 12:30:18.327451 Sending authentication request with client credentials to  https://api.refinitiv.com/auth/oauth2/v2/token ...

2024-06-28 12:30:19.100960 Refinitiv Data Platform Authentication succeeded. RECEIVED:
{
  "access_token":"<TOKEN>",
  "expires_in":7199,
  "token_type":"Bearer"
}

2024-06-28 12:30:19.101339 Sending Refinitiv Data Platform service discovery request to  https://api.refinitiv.com/streaming/pricing/v1/ ...

Refinitiv Data Platform service discovery HTTP code: 403 Forbidden
Unrecoverable error when performing service discovery: stopped retrying request
Failed to retrieve endpoints from Refinitiv Data Platform Service Discovery. Exiting...

As I understand, we were able to get access token, but for some reason we can't use it (403 response).

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
27k 65 17 14

Hello @d.alishev

It might be another issue. The market_price_rdpgw_client_cred_auth.py example uses the service discovery feature that sends a HTTP request message to RDP https://api.refinitiv.com/streaming/pricing/v1/ endpoint to get a list of RTO server that matched your account dynamically.

The "Refinitiv Data Platform service discovery HTTP code: 403 Forbidden" error message indicates that your Version 2 account does not have access to that /streaming/pricing/v1/ endpoint. If you need this feature, please contact your LSEG representative or Account Manager to verify and fix your permission.

Back to the original issue, you can run this market_price_rdpgw_client_cred_auth example without using a Service Discovery feature via the following command:

python3 market_price_rdpgw_client_cred_auth.py --clientid <clientid> --clientsecret <clientsecret> --hostname <hostname>

Example:

python3 market_price_rdpgw_client_cred_auth.py --clientid my_client_id --clientsecret my_client_secret --hostname us-east-2-aws-3-sm.optimized-pricing-api.refinitiv.net

Please see more detail about the example parameters from the project README.md file

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
81 1 2 9

@wasin.w

Thank you for your patience. I tried market_price_rdpgw_client_cred_auth. Output:

➜  refexample poetry run python refexample/main.py --clientid GE-XXXXXX --clientsecret our_secret_code --hostname us-east-2-aws-3-sm.optimized-pricing-api.refinitiv.net

2024-06-28 13:04:40.953710 Sending authentication request with client credentials to  https://api.refinitiv.com/auth/oauth2/v2/token ...

2024-06-28 13:04:41.796401 Refinitiv Data Platform Authentication succeeded. RECEIVED:
{
  "access_token":"<access_token>",
  "expires_in":7199,
  "token_type":"Bearer"
}
2024-06-28 13:04:41.796834 Session1: Connecting WebSocket to wss://us-east-2-aws-3-sm.optimized-pricing-api.refinitiv.net:443/WebSocket...
2024-06-28 13:04:43.069283 Session1: WebSocket successfully connected!
2024-06-28 13:04:43.069518 SENT on Session1:
{
  "Domain":"Login",
  "ID":1,
  "Key":{
    "Elements":{
      "ApplicationId":"256",
      "AuthenticationToken":"<access_token>",
      "Position":"127.0.1.1/vostok"
    },
    "NameType":"AuthnToken"
  }
}
2024-06-28 13:04:43.479222 RECEIVED on Session1:
[
  {
    "Domain":"Login",
    "ID":1,
    "Key":{
      "Name":"<access_token>"
    },
    "State":{
      "Code":"Error",
      "Data":"Suspect",
      "Stream":"Closed",
      "Text":"GE-XXXXXX, unknown to system."
    },
    "Type":"Status"
  }
]
2024-06-28 13:04:43.479475 Error: Login failed, received status message, closing: StreamState=Closed, DataState=Suspect
2024-06-28 13:04:43.629641 Session1: WebSocket Closed
icon clock
10 |1500

Hello @d.alishev

The error with the example indicates that it might be something with your account.

I believe that you already have a support ticket with the RTO team. They will contact you via a separate email loop. I advise you include your LSEG representative or Account Manager in that email loop too.

Upvotes
81 1 2 9

@wasin.w you was right. There was a problem with license. LSEG support helped us. Thank you!

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.