Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Refinitiv Data Library performance significantly worse than Eikon Data API

Hello,

Due to the fact the Eikon API is going to be phased out, I've started looking at replacing code from using the Eikon Library, to the Refinitiv Data Library in Python. Currently everything is clear and going smoothly, but I've noticed that the RD library has significantly worse performance than the eikon library.

For example, retrieving the CF_NAME for 24 bonds takes around 4.7 seconds. In Eikon, running the same command takes no longer than two seconds with the fastest I found being 1.15. This is quite a large difference and leads to issues that weren't present before, such as time-out errors in the function calls or the data being retrieved simply too slowly.

What could be the cause, and is there any way to change this? Also is the Eikon library that is being phased out refinitiv.data.eikon as well as the individual eikon library?

I'm running a desktop session on the RD library. Both libraries are fully updated.

Thank you in advance.

#technology#productpython apirefinitiv-data-librariesrefinitiv-data-platform-eikon
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
10.8k 21 6 9

@ns02 The Eikon Data API is slightly older now and we have newer libraries that have access to newer services such as enhanced historical pricing models, search services, instrument pricing and many more. We would encourage customers to use the new Refinitiv Data Libraries - where the last version of the Eikon Data API will remain for backwards compatibility. But that library is feature complete now. From our testing the RD Library is much faster - particularly for historical pricing as that is a much newer service. In terms of the field you mentioned it should be exactly the same as it uses the same underlying service as the Eikon Data API but as you can see from below RD lib is much faster for the same service - here a 34 instrument chain:

1721141988705.png

-vs- RD

1721142019008.png

So wall time is 4.88s for Eikon Data API vs 1.49s RD Lib with Chain Decoder. Note you should restart both kernels before testing as there might be some prior caching. I hope this can help.

1721141988705.png (31.1 KiB)
1721142019008.png (30.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

@jason.ramchandani01 . Indeed when I run your example the Refinitiv Data Library is faster. However, it seems in my test case where I provide a large list for the universe, I find that eikon performs significantly better. Is there a specific way I should query when requesting a large number of instruments in the universe that I cannot get from a chain object?

1721145353407.png

1721145353407.png (45.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Interestingly, if I run it on the individual rics in a for loop, RD library performs significantly better.

1721145802278.png

1721145802278.png (10.4 KiB)

Hi @ns02, Thank you for your question on the Q&A Forum. I liaised with our internal teams and they made sure to rectify this issue in the new and improved upcoming Python Library, the LD Lib. which will be available on the site below this month:

https://developers.lseg.com/en/api-catalog/lseg-data-platform/lseg-data-library-for-python

It is not available yet, but it will be some time this month.

Upvotes
27k 65 17 14

Hello @ns02

The LSEG Data Library - Python is available now. Can you try it?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.