Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
31 0 1 2

HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable: Trying to retrive news stories with Eikon Web and Scripting API

I am trying to retrieve news data with Eikon Web and Scripting API from Eikon Database.

The Headline retrieval works fine but if I try to get news texts I get the following:

21 for index, headline_row in headlines_summary.iterrows():
---> 22     story = ek.get_news_story(headline_row['storyId'])
     23     stories.append(story)
     24     sleep(0.1)

C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\eikon\news_request.py in get_news_story(story_id, raw_output, debug)
    161     app_id = eikon.get_app_id()
    162     payload = {'attributionCode': '', 'productName': app_id, 'storyId': story_id}
--> 163     json_data = eikon.json_requests.send_json_request(News_Story_UDF_endpoint, payload, debug=debug)
    165     if raw_output:

C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\eikon\json_requests.py in send_json_request(entity, payload, ID, debug)
     80             if response.status_code == 200:
     81                 result = response.json()
---> 82                 check_server_error(result)
     83                 return result
     84             if response.status_code == 401:

C:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages\eikon\json_requests.py in check_server_error(server_response)
    128         else:
    129             status_code = server_response['ErrorCode']
--> 130         raise requests.HTTPError(error_message, response=server_response)
    132     # check DataGrid error

HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable

I tried to put in some sleeptime. Without success.

Is there a known solution for my problem?

Thanks in advance.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apinewserror-503http-error
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Running into a similar issue here with Eikon package 0.1.9. This doesn't work:

headlines = eikon.get_news_headlines('R:TRI.TO', count=3)
for index, headline_row in headlines.iterrows():
    story = eikon.get_news_story(headline_row['storyId'])

It produces the following error:

KeyError: 'story'

Thanks for your fast reply.

Version is:

I get 288 successful queries. Number 289 throws the error:

HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable

can you retrieve one headline manually? for instance,

html = tr.get_news_story('urn:newsml:reuters.com:20170524:nIFR1ZFCDP:1')

if yes, how may headlines do you retrieve before 503? Could you print out the index variable during the loop.

I get 288 successful queries. Number 289 throws the error.

It seems that you are hitting a limit of some kind, we will check and let you know.

also, could you please do

print(ek.__version__)

which version does it show?

Version: 0.1.9

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query? If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question. Thanks, -AHS

Show more comments
Upvotes
Accepted
4.3k 2 4 5

Hi,

By design, News Service doesn't provide more than 100 headlines per request. and raises "HTTPError: 503 Service Unavailable" if count > 100

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
4.6k 26 7 22

@jakobyth, @Joris.Hoendervangers I have escalated this to the product management and will post here once the issue is identified.

On a separate note, the API is not intended for the bulk news story retrieval. Do you have a viable use case? Leave the comments to this answer with your ideas.

icon clock
10 |1500

The use case is to retrieve historical financial news on a certain topic and use them for sentiment analysis.

I tried unsuccessfully to export news from the Eikon Client. Had also no success with the Eikon Excel Plug-in.

Is there another way to get historical financial news?

While you can definitely use Eikon Scripting API for proof-of-concept work on low amounts of news articles, I suggest that you speak to your customer representative about either Thomson Reuters News Archive (TRNA) or Thomson Reuters Machine Readable News (MRN).

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.