Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
18 3 2 7

Read timed out Error

While retrieving data with ek.get_data() sometimes I get error:

ReadTimeout: HTTPConnectionPool(host='localhost', port=36036): Read timed out. (read timeout=60)

What is the best way to hadle it?

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apitime-out
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
4.3k 2 4 5

Hi,

Some requests can spend more than 60 seconds to resolve by the platform and/or due to a low network bandwidth.

You can increase the timeout with the function ek.set_timeout before calling ek.get_data()

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you! I'll try this option.

Also I've noticed that restarting of Eikon API Proxy helps.

Upvotes
18 3 2 7

Can it be that sometimes API is overloaded? E.g. yesterday and today (18/09 and 19/09) data retrieving takes too much time and I get ReadTimeout errors often. I use ek.set_timeout but it doesn't seem to help much.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.