Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 3 1 5

Historical fundamental data

Hi,

We are learning Eikon python API. There is get_timeseries function which can only get historical prices and volumes. Is there a python function to get historical fundamental data like EPS and ROE?

Thanks.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apihistorical
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
17k 80 39 63

Hi @dxu,

You can use the get_data() function and specify a date range to retrieve historical fundamental data. The syntax would look something like:

get_data(<instruments>,[<fields>],{'SDate':'2017-06-01','EDate':'2017-08-04'})

for example.

Within Eikon, I would highly recommend using the DIB - Data Item Browser to determine the available fields you can use for the instruments you are interested in.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
39.4k 77 11 27

You can use get_data function for this purpose. There's an example at the bottom of Quick Start Guide
https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/eikon-data-apis/quick-start

I also strongly recommend you check out this tutorial, which talks about metadata discovery, i.e. how to find the field names and parameters you can use to retrieve this or that data.
https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/eikon-data-apis/learning?content=14707&type=learning_material_item

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
16 3 1 5

Thanks. I can use following code to get historical data. However, there is no date info shown in the result. I tried to use the data item browser to figure out what field I should use to get dates, but could not find it. Could you please help me? thanks.

df, err = ek.get_data(['MSFT.O'], ['TR.EPSMean'],{'SDate':'2015-01-01','EDate':'2018-01-29'})

icon clock
10 |1500

how do i get the dates associated with each datapoint though?

Hi @dkdg73,

For the field list, you can specify the following:

['TR.EPSMean', 'TR.EPSMean.date']

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.