Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 1 1 1

Retrieve list of Oil Refinery RIC's

I would need something like ek.get_rics(oil refineries, region="world") which would output a list of rics of all oil refineries in the world.

I tried using the interactive oil map, made a layer on refineries and export that to excel. Yes, you get a list of tickers, but only those currently zoomed on the map. And if you zoom out to get the world, you get a summarizing table containing the # of OR's per continent/country.

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apiapiricsenergy
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your participation in the forum.
Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply.
This will guide all community members who have a similar question.
Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.
Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
10.2k 18 6 9

Hi @ana.ramirezcervera Thanks for your question. You need to use the search API endpoint from the Refinitiv Data Platform - which is accessible using your eikon appkey - or from within the codebook app.

import refinitiv.dataplatform as rdp
rdp.open_desktop_session('YOUR APP KEY HERE')
import eikon as ek
ek.set_app_key('YOUR APP KEY HERE')
dfRic = rdp.search(
    view = rdp.SearchViews.PhysicalAssets,
    filter = "RCSAssetTypeLeaf eq 'oil refinery'", #and RCSRegionLeaf eq 'United States'
    top=10000
)
display(dfRic)

You could then take that list and get other pertinent information eg:

df, err = ek.get_data(instruments = dfRic['RIC'].astype(str).values.tolist(),fields =["TR.AssetName","TR.AssetLocation","TR.AssetLongitude","TR.AssetLatitude"])

df

I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
16 1 1 1

Thanks for you answer.

When running the above code, I get the following error.

Session session - Thread 20140 | MainThread Error: no proxy address identified. Check if Desktop is running.

Desktop application is running (Eikon package works perfectly)

Python version: 3.8.3

RDP version:

1.0.0a6
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
16 1 1 1

When I try making connection directly to the Refinitiv Data Platform (as described on https://pypi.org/project/refinitiv-dataplatform/) I get the following error.

2020-10-15 10:07:25,980 - Session session.platform - Thread 20140 | MainThread EDP Authentication failed. Error code -1 | AttributeError("'Request' object has no attribute 'prepare'")
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
16 1 1 1

Changing version using pip install httpx==0.14.2 worked for me :)

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.