Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
75 4 5 6

list of bankrupt companies & balance sheet/ income statements of a specific year

Hello,

I must compare KPIs of companies which went bankrupt against companies which didn’t go bankrupt. The companies have to be listed on a stock exchange.

I am able to retrieve a list of companies, which are listed on exchanges of a specific country as follows:

exp = 'SCREEN(U(IN(Equity(active,public,primary))), IN(TR.ExchangeCountryCode, COUNTRY CODE))'

df, e = ek.get_data(exp, ['TR.RIC', 'TR.PrimaryQuote', 'TR.InstrumentType', 'TR.ExchangeTicker',

'TR.ShortExchangeName', 'TR.ExchangeName', 'TR.CommonName',

'TR.HeadquartersCountry', 'TR.TRBCIndustryGroup', 'TR.GICSSector',

'TR.LegalAddressCity','TR.LegalAddressLine1','TR.Employees', 'CF_CURR' ])

I get the industry, the primary RIC, Headquarters Country etc. without a problem.

However, how can I manipulate the formula, to also get the name and RIC of companies which went bankrupt and also the date when they went bankrupt? The formula above only shows me active companies.

Furthermore, I wonder how to retrieve the balance sheets and income statements of specific RICs in a specific year? Is it possible to see, which standard (US-GAAP, IFRS etc.) was used to create the balance sheet/income statement or is it even possible to specify the standard when retrieving the balance sheet?

I want to thank you guys in advance for your help in this awesome forum! It is enjoyable to work with the eikon API!

eikoneikon-data-apipythonrefinitiv-dataplatform-eikonworkspaceworkspace-data-apidataricshistoricalfinancial-statements
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @pfarrer.braun

I think you can open an overview page and go to Financials >> Income Statement

Then click on the "?" icon next to the data you want and see the data field.

So in this case the data field is TR.Revenue

You can do the same process on another sheet.

If you cannot find the data field you are looking for, please contact Helpdesk.

Sample code:

rics = ['0700.HK']
fields = ['TR.Revenue','TR.CashAndSTInvestments']
df3, err = ek.get_data(rics,fields ,{'SDate':'0','EDate':'-5','Period':'FQ0','Frq':'FQ'})
df3

Output:

0 0700.HK 125447000000 235968000000
1 0700.HK 114883000000 261550000000
2 0700.HK 108065000000 200298000000
3 0700.HK 105767000000 187016000000
4 0700.HK 97236000000 201328000000
5 0700.HK 88821000000 184534000000

ahs.png (293.4 KiB)
ahs2.png (296.3 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.2k 21 13 21

Hi @pfarrer.braun

You need to know the data field carrying the information you are looking for.

For example: This screener finds inactive companies and retrieves "TR.RetireDate" field.

However, what data field is carrying the bankruptcy information (or if there is any) is a content question.

This forum is not the best place to ask about content questions.

For an authoritative answer to any content questions, the best resource is the Refinitiv Content Helpdesk.
The moderators here do not have deep expertise in every type of content available through Eikon.
The Refinitiv Content Helpdesk can be reached using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application.
Or by calling the Helpdesk number in your country.
Or at https://my.refinitiv.com/

To retrieve balance sheet, please try this sample code:

ahs.png (50.7 KiB)
ahs2.png (26.8 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
75 4 5 6

Hi @chavalit.jintamalit

Thank you for your answer!

Retire Date seems to be alright.

Your second code shows, to my understanding, the date and the source of the balance sheet and the income statement, thanks for that!. However, how can I retrieve the complete balance sheet/income statement of a company at a specific time?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
75 4 5 6

Hi @chavalit.jintamalit

ah okay, thank you for your effort.

I am a bit disappointed that I can't retrieve a full balance sheet/income statement. However, thats not a technical problem :D

Thanks!

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
10.1k 18 6 9

@pfarrer.braun to retrieve a standardised full income statement try the following - you can set the SDate parameter to whatever date you want.

df, err =ek.get_data(['VOD.L'],['TR.F.IncomeStatement.fieldname','TR.F.IncomeStatement.fielddescription','TR.F.IncomeStatement'], parameters = {'SDate':'2016-01-01','Period': 'FY0','reportingState':'Rsdt', 'curn':'Native', 'Scale':'6','SORTA':'LISeq'})
df

To get the balance sheet just replace TR.F.IncomeStatement with TR.F.BalanceSheet and to get cashflow statement its TR.F.CashflowStatement. I hope this can help.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks a lot man!!!!

Upvotes
75 4 5 6

@jason.ramchandani do you coincidentally know, how to retrieve when a company went bankrupt as asked above? I think retire Date can also include company fusions or when a compny is taken off an exchange. It is not a big deal but it would ease my work if I could know when and if a compny went bankrupt.

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.