question

Upvotes
Accepted
33 9 13 31

RTO EMA: Is there an approach to decrease the number of UpdateMsg received?

Is there an approach to decrease the number of UpdateMsg received?

[RTO Internet, may have LPC, but no TREP components]
The use scenario: The EMA application subscribes ~ 70K RICs which will introduce 60K updates per second. However, the application is deployed on a low tier server lacking of high CPU and memory capabilities.
Besides doing snapshot subscription from time to time, any other approach to decrease the total number of UpdateMsg received? while no hardware upgrade. Or optimization and conflation can be configured(not sure).
Hope to know some ideas.

ema-apirrto
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
25.3k 87 12 25

Hi @Frederic

RTO is fixed at 330ms conflation rate and trade-safe updates.

Currently, the other cloud-based streaming service is 'Refinitiv Pricing Streaming (Redistribution) Service' - which offers 1 update every 3 seconds and is not Trade Safe i.e. you only receive a summary of trades occurring in the 3sec conflation window together with a conflated quote.

Another possible alternative could be to use our RTMDS service (managed Realtime Distribution service) which offers custom conflation options.

Let me know if you are interested in any of the above and I can try and reach out to your Refinitiv Account representative to contact you.

I have heard of instances where customers start discarding some updates at the application level - i.e. not decoding them when the number of updates gets too high for the application to process in a timely manner - but not sure if this would meet your requirements.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
22.1k 59 14 21

Hi @Frederic,

Although the update rate cannot be reduced, you can however reduce the number of FIDS contained in an image or update message, thereby reducing the bandwidth and hence the CPU time required to decode the fields.

Please see the EMA example 360 Market price view for how to enable this. The sample only subscribes to the BID and ASK fields.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thank you @Gurpreet, that makes sense, I will have a try.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.