Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
0 0 0 2

Issues when downloading data

Hi,

I’m using Python for downloading Guidance Summary stuff. The idea is to *not* download the rows in which the value that I'm interesting in (e.g., “low value” or “high value”) is NaN so I can reduce the number of downloads. Also, it seems that sometimes there are duplicate rows. Is there any way of filter this out as well?

Finally, just a quick question about the download limit: What is that limit? Imagine we have a table of 100 rows and 100 columns. Then, we have 100*100 = 10000 cells. Do they count as 10000 downloads?

Thanks!

python#technology#productpython apiguidance
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi @ruben.fernandez, May I ask: which API are you using in Python? You can search for APIs here and filter for python on the left top let us know.
Hi @jonathan.legrand, thanks for your answer. I'm using Eikon Data API.

Hi @ruben.fernandez, May I ask for a code snippet of the 'Guidance Summary stuff' request using EDAPI? This would help my investigation, especially as I don't think there is a way to know in advance which columns/rows are NaN. This would help me replicate the Duplicated Row issue you outlined.

Hi @ruben.fernandez ,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text on the left side of the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
5.8k 21 2 6

Hi @ruben.fernandez,

Unfortunately, there is no way to proactively return only rows without `NaN`s for the fields you are after using the `get_data` function. The reason for this is that, while you may see `NaN`s for the fields you searched, there are others for which there is data (e.g.: 'TR.ASKPRICE') (see screenshot below); you can find such fields in DIB. Have you tried using Search?

1679914978493.png

N.B.: I suggest that you use the Refinitiv Data Library for Python as opposed to EDAPI. More details on why here.

1679914978493.png (65.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I didn't know that search function. I will take a look on it. Thanks.
Upvotes
5.8k 21 2 6

Hi @ruben.fernandez, for EDAPI (Eikon Data API), you can find information on this very Q&A. Searching there I found a post that may answer your question: 'Data limit reached?'. It links to the EDAPI Usage and Limits Guideline. Does this contain the answer you were after?

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @jonathan.legrand. Thanks a lot. That answer the very last question of the data limit, yes. Do you know something about the two previous ones? Thanks!
Upvotes
5.8k 21 2 6

Hi @ruben.fernandez , May I ask for a code snippet of the 'Guidance Summary stuff' request using EDAPI? This would help my investigation, especially as I don't think there is a way to know in advance which columns/rows are NaN. This would help me replicate the Duplicated Row issue you outlined.

icon clock
10 |1500

Sure.

It's this one. You should use your particular api_key but that's it. I don't think that there's a way as well, but just in case... Thanks!

fields = ['TR.GuidanceDate',

'TR.GuidanceMeasure',

'TR.GuidanceMeasureBasis',

'TR.GuidancePeriodYear',

'TR.GuidancePeriodMonth',

'TR.GuidanceAcctType',

'TR.GuidanceUnitType',

'TR.GuidanceSegmentType',

'TR.GuidanceDataForm',

'TR.GuidanceDataBasis',

'TR.GuidanceLowValue',

'TR.GuidanceHighValue',

'TR.GuidanceText',

'TR.GuidanceDocType']

data, err = ek.get_data('WMT',

fields,

{'Period':'FY1',

'FRQ':'FQ',

'SDate':'2021-01-01',

'EDate':'2022-12-31',

'GuidDataForm': 'SNG',

'GuidMeasure':'EPS:EBIT:EBITDA'

}

)

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.