Upgrade from Eikon -> Workspace. Learn about programming differences.

For a deeper look into our Eikon Data API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
23 0 0 3

Get symbols or RICs with mergers info

I would like to get all known proposed and completed mergers/acquisitions in a given time frame.

I've researched this, looking at a few tickets:

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/31335/get-all-mergers-and-acquisitions-on-the-python-api.html

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/58733/couldnt-find-deal-with-api.html

https://community.developers.refinitiv.com/questions/80756/how-to-get-a-list-of-all-mergers-acquisitions-by-c.html

https://developers.refinitiv.com/en/article-catalog/article/eikon-data-api-cheat-sheet

I am using the C# API and can get a simple example working, such as:

ek.get_data("SCREEN(U(IN(DEALS)),BETWEEN(TR.MnAAnnDate,20230101,20231231))",["TR.MnAAnnDate","TR.MnATarget","TR.MnATargetPermId","TR.MnAAcquiror","TR.MnAAcquirorPermId"])

I have two problems/requests with this:

-I'd like to limit it to public companies only.

-I need the ticker symbol or RIC returned with each row so I know what company is involved. I've tried passing TR.TickerSymbol, TR.Instrument, and TR.RIC and none seem to work.

Please advise how I should do this. Thanks.

eikon-data-api#technologyc#
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for participating in the forum.

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
23 0 0 3

Thank you. You may close this ticket.

For anyone who is interested in the C# version of this, the code is:

var fieldsResponse = await MetaData.Definition().View(Search.View.DealsMergersAndAcquisitions).GetDataAsync();
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
5k 16 2 7

Hi @jiah ,

Thank you for your question. I would suggest using Search Capabilities of RD Library. I have build an M&A search using Search capabilities in this article. Although it uses Python you can easily modify it for C#. Posting the code with RD Lib for Python here:

MnA = rd.discovery.search(
    view = rd.discovery.Views.DEALS_MERGERS_AND_ACQUISITIONS,

#specify filtering properties
    filter = "((AcquirerCompanyName ne 'Creditors' and AcquirerCompanyName ne 'Shareholder') and (TargetCountry eq 'US' or TargetCountry eq 'UK')"
    + "and TransactionValueIncludingNetDebtOfTarget ge 100 and TargetPublicStatus eq 'Public')"
    + "and (TransactionStatus eq 'Completed' or TransactionStatus eq 'Pending' or TransactionStatus eq 'Withdrawn')"
    + "and (FormOfTransactionName xeq 'Merger' or FormOfTransactionName xeq 'Acquisition') and (TransactionAnnouncementDate le 2022-04-14 and TransactionAnnouncementDate ge 2022-01-01)",

#select only the required fields and order them based on announcement date
    #then specify number of items to be 10000, default value is 100
    select = 'TransactionAnnouncementDate, TargetCompanyName, TargetRIC',
    order_by = 'TransactionAnnouncementDate desc',
    top = 10000)

MnA.head()

Hope this will be helpful.

Best regards,

Haykaz

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
23 0 0 3

This is working well. One final point/question: Where can I find a full list of supported fields for such a query? I may need to add a few more to my query.

Thanks.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
14.2k 30 5 10

Hi @jiah ,

The code below can be used.

import refinitiv.data as rd
from refinitiv.data.content import search

rd.open_session()

response = search.metadata.Definition(
    view = search.Views.DEALS_MERGERS_AND_ACQUISITIONS
).get_data()

response.data.df

Here's the result

1683538418047.png

1683538418047.png (40.0 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.