For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 0 3

Max length of RSSL string payload

Is there a max length for the payload of an ASCII_STRING / RMTES_STRING field?

All I can see documentation-wise is the table "5.5.2.4 FIELD TYPE Keywords" in the "RDM Usage Guide" but I'm reading that as how to convert MarketFeed types to RWF?

I'm inferring (/hoping) from reading the SDK code that string length is only limited by the UInt32 length member of RwfBuffer and EmaString?

Also, is there any max cachable length for these types in the ADH?

#technologyema-apieta-apirefinitiv-realtime-sdkADHrssl
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
79.2k 251 52 74

@ben.hyde

I tested with ADS and found that its cache can contain a long string (400 bytes). However, it is better to contact the RTDS support team directly via MyRefinitiv to confirm it.

Yes, you can specify custom fields for your own data. The field IDs of custom fields must be negative values. Please check the Publish Custom Data via Refinitiv Real-Time Distribution System by EMA article regarding the FID Number Policy. However, you need to make sure that the providers, RTDS, and consumers load and use this dictionary.

Otherwise, you can use existing fields. For example:

SEG_TEXT   "TEXT"                 258  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      255  RMTES_STRING   255
SEG_TEXT_2 "SEG TEXT 2"          1059  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      255  RMTES_STRING   255
SEG_TEXT_3 "SEG TEXT 3"          1060  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      255  RMTES_STRING   255
INSTFUNAM1 "INSTR FULL NAME 1"  15433  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      350  RMTES_STRING   350
INSTFUNAM2 "INSTR FULL NAME 2"  15434  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      350  RMTES_STRING   350
KEYWORD    "KEYWORD"            30019  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      510  RMTES_STRING   510
ADMIN_MSG  "ADMIN MSG"          32423  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC      500  RMTES_STRING   500

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@Jirapongse that's great. Thanks for your help
Upvotes
79.2k 251 52 74

@ben.hyde

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Technically, the content of each field entry has a maximum encoded length of 65,535 bytes.

However, the application should follow the length defined in the data dictionary (RDMFieldDictionary).

For example:

!
!ACRONYM    DDE ACRONYM          FID  RIPPLES TO  FIELD TYPE     LENGTH  RWF TYPE   RWF LEN
!-------    -----------          ---  ----------  ----------     ------  --------   -------
DSPLY_NAME "DISPLAY NAME"           3  NULL        ALPHANUMERIC       16  RMTES_STRING    16

The RWF LEN (RWF maximum field length (for caching)) of the DSPLY_NAME field is 16 bytes so the length of content in the DSPLY_NAME field shouldn't exceed 16 bytes.

icon clock
10 |1500

Thanks @Jirapongse.

I should have specified that I'm using a custom dictionary. I'm wanting to populate one FID with a fairly long string (some base64 encoded data). If I know that this string will never exceed, say, 400 bytes, Am I safe to define the field in the dictionary like this (and have the full value cached in the ADH):

!ACRONYM  DDE ACRONYM FID RIPPLES TO FIELD TYPE LENGTH RWF TYPE     RWF LEN
!-------  ----------- --- ---------- ---------- ------ --------     -------
SOME_DATA ""           42 NULL       NONE            0 RMTES_STRING     400

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.