question

Upvotes
Accepted
942 8 9 13

How to cache received EMA data for later use?

In an application that subscribes to MarketPrice instruments using EMA Java, I would like to preserve for a later use the Data I receive via Refresh and Update messages. My current understanding is that the Data I receive for each field is only valid in the context of the onRefresh and onUpdate callback methods. For example if in an onRefresh method I preserve the Data of a FieldEntry by calling fieldData = fieldEntry.load(), I cannot use this fieldData variable later after onRefresh returned.

1. Can you please confirm if my understanding is correct?
  2. If yes, is there an easy way to clone the received data for later reuse, out of the onRefresh/onUpdate callback methods? By easy way I mean something like fieldData = fieldEntry.load().clone(). In order to avoid being too much coupled with the EMA Data types, I would like to avoid a big switch that deals with every possible data type.
elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkema-apirrtelektron-message-apidatafieldscachingload
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
24.2k 53 17 14

Hi @Olivier DAVANT

Based on EMA Java API dev guide section 3.2.3, the Data class and all classes that inherit from it are designed as temporary and short-lived objects. For this reason, do not use them as storage or caching devices.

If the application just needs the content for the business logic use case, the application can store the FieldEntry’s content as string or manual copy content from incoming FieldEntry object (A) to the local FieldEntry object (B).

Based on your "For example if in an onRefresh method I preserve the Data of a FieldEntry by calling fieldData = fieldEntry.load(), I cannot use this fieldData variable later after onRefresh returned." statement, your fieldData is declared under the onRefresh() function scope. You cannot use it outside the onRefresh() function. You need to declare the local FieldEntry object in the class scope, so it can be used in any class's functions.

data-class.png (43.5 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hi Wasin,

Thank you very much for this answer.

Given what the doc says, I'm not even sure that what you proposed in your last sentence will work.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.