question

Upvotes
Accepted
7 3 1 4

EMA NIP Dictionary request

Hi - is it possible to make a dictionary request from the server when implementing a NIP using the EMA API ?

when i attempt to make a request I get a NPE

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.DictionaryItem.open(DictionaryCallbackClient.java:1279) at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.ItemCallbackClient.registerClient(ItemCallbackClient.java:1719) at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.registerClient(OmmBaseImpl.java:363) at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmNiProviderImpl.registerClient(OmmNiProviderImpl.java:201) at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmNiProviderImpl.registerClient(OmmNiProviderImpl.java:193) at com.rbs.trep.NiProvider.main(NiProvider.java:72)

elektronrefinitiv-realtimeelektron-sdkema-apirrtelektron-message-apijavaelektron-data-dictionary
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Monitored by Pimchaya

@david.gardiner
Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the reply. This will guide all community members who have a similar question. Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvote
Accepted
36 0 4 2

For NIP, EMA Java and C++ does not support the dictionary download feature from the ADH yet.

The tracking number ESDK-462 is used to capture this issue.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

It is possible to request dictionary from NIP using MMT_Dictionary request.

Please see Java-> Elektron Toolkit 1.1.0-> EMA ->Example 332 for the code example.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
9.6k 10 7 7

Hello @david.gardiner

I can reproduce the same exception as you after i added the following in

niprovider.series100.example100__MarketPrice__Streaming application

long fldHandle = provider.registerClient(reqMsg.domainType(EmaRdm.MMT_DICTIONARY).name("RWFFld").filter(EmaRdm.DICTIONARY_NORMAL), appClient);   

long enumHandle = provider.registerClient(reqMsg.clear().domainType(EmaRdm.MMT_DICTIONARY).name("RWFEnum").filter(EmaRdm.DICTIONARY_NORMAL),appClient);        

Then I got:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException   
at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.DictionaryItem.open(DictionaryCallbackClient.java:1279)   
at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.ItemCallbackClient.registerClient(ItemCallbackClient.java:1719)   
at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmBaseImpl.registerClient(OmmBaseImpl.java:363)   
at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmNiProviderImpl.registerClient(OmmNiProviderImpl.java:201)   
at com.thomsonreuters.ema.access.OmmNiProviderImpl.registerClient(OmmNiProviderImpl.java:193)   
at com.thomsonreuters.ema.examples.training.niprovider.series100.example100__MarketPrice__Streaming.NiProvider.main(NiProvider.java:197)

From EMA tracing log, it showed that EMA did not send dictionary request to the server because the exception occurred before.

I tried with RFA Java StarterProvider_NonInteractive and it downloaded dictionary from the same ADH as EMA niprovider successfully. Hence, the cause tends to from EMA(EMA bug/non-support feature) or the application level(improper implementation/configuration).

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
9.6k 10 7 7

Hello @david.gardiner

To clarify if this is EMA bug/non-support feature or improper implementation/configuration in application level with the development team, you can submit your problem to the development directly via GitHub at

https://github.com/thomsonreuters/Elektron-SDK/issues

Then, click "New issue" button. Hence, you can communicate and follow up with the development team directly.

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi @Pimchaya.Wongrukun.

thanks for the information. I will raise a issue with the dev team to find out what they suggest.

In the meantime I will try and load a local dictionary from file although its not really ideal.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.