question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 1 1 3

Retrieval of Equity Instrument Data via Bond Instrument Identifier

Hi,
I'm writing my masterthesis and need data to conduct an event study.
I have a list of corporate bonds which includes data points such as ISIN, announcement date and Issuer Name etc. Now I need to extract the bonds of publicly traded companies and a time-series of historical closing prices for their stocks around the announcement date of the bond.
For example Apple Inc announced a bond (Annoncement date 16.02.2016, ISIN: US037833BU32). Is there a way to retrieve time-series closing price data of the issuer using the ISIN?
I can use both the Eikon and Datastream Excel Add-In but cannot find an appropriate identifier that allows me to link stock data to bond issuer data.

Thanks in advance

eikoneikon-com-apidatadatastream-apiexcelbonds
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvote
Accepted
39.4k 77 11 27

First you need to get the RIC of the stock. For this you can try =TR("US037833BU32","TR.RIC"), which returns "AAPL.OQ". Then you can use say =TR("AAPL.OQ","TR.CLOSEPRICE","Frq=D SDate=0 EDate=-19 CH=Fd RH=Date") to retrieve the timeseries of stock close price history.
There's a lot of potential complications here. Public companies frequently issue debt through private subsidiaries, hence the link between the bond and the stock may be less straightforward than in the above example.
This forum is dedicated to software developers using Refinitiv APIs. Since you're using Excel add-ins through GUI, if you have any further questions or need any additional help the best resource for you is Refinitiv Helpdesk, which you can reach by either calling the Helpdesk number in your country or by using Contact Us capability in your Eikon application.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
16 1 1 3

Thanks for your detailed answer. Unfortunately, as a student I don't have access to the Refinitiv Helpdesk.
As a follow up question:
Is it possible to retrieve yearly fundamental data (for example revenue, total assets etc. for the last 5 fiscal years) from the issuer of the bond? Again I only have the ISIN of the bond but my data sample contains bonds from public and private companies
(e.g. XS1130340091, STOCKLAND TRUST MANAGEMENT LTD and US037833BU32, APPLE INC)

Thanks in advance

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Hello,

I'm a student from Robert Koch Institut doing my research paper and the first task is to get historical bond prices and yields data. I will also need to get the reporting frequency of fundametal data (quarterly and annually) later. Is there any solution to retrieve yearly fundamental data from the issuer of the bond?

_______

>Reporting frequency for fundamental data with Data Item Browser via essaydune

icon clock
10 |1500

@albrechthslu
Old threads with accepted answers are not monitored by forum moderators. If you have a new question, always start a new thread.
To answer your question the first task is to get from the bond identifier to equity RIC. If bond issuer is a public company, you can use TR.RIC field as per the accepted answer on this thread. However public companies frequently issue debt through private subsidiaries, in which case you may need to traverse up the list of parents using TR.ImmediateParentId field until you either reach the organization that is a public company (TR.IsPublic = TRUE) or until immediate parent becomes the same as the organization (TR.OrganizationId), in which case you know you reached the top of the hierarchy and if you haven't encountered a public company on the way, then there is none.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.