For a deeper look into our Elektron API, look into:

Overview |  Quickstart |  Documentation |  Downloads |  Tutorials |  Articles

question

Upvotes
Accepted
3 0 0 1

Client side closing websocket?

python-test-programs.zip

I am trying just to do a "proof of concept". My goal is to create a web GUI with buttons that when pressed will trigger the send of a command to a piece of equipment. So I thought about creating this GUI using HTML and javaScript and send the command using JSON through a websocket to a websocket server in Phyton that would receive the message, communicate with the equipment and return the information to the web page through the websocket. So I created a simple page with two buttons, one asking for an ID and another one asking for a status byte. Both buttons call the same function passing the specific item as parameter. I harcoded the answer from the server (two different answers depending on the command received), to simplify things. So, when I press the get ID button, I receive the correct information from the server and the client closes the websocket... If now I want to press the second button, the server does not receive the "request". I have to refresh the client page in order to be able to press the second button and then I receive the correct information, but again the client closes the websocket... and I cannot press the first button again, as the websocket is closed. So my question is: why the websocket is closing? I am not experienced either with Python or with websockets. In my ignorance I thought that websockets should remain opened until I explicitly invoke the close() function, so I thought that I could implement as many buttons I wanted and the channel between client and server would remain always opened... Am I missing something? I am using Python 3.7. Everything is running under Windows10 and client html code is running in Chrome. Attached you have the two files I created. Very basic GUI and even simpler server side.I would appreciate any light you can throw in my direction on what I am missing.

pythontreprdp-apiwebsocketsrrto
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
Upvotes
Accepted
21.9k 58 14 21

Hi @rmdemattos. We can only help with our Elektron Websockets API. You are better off asking general programming questions at python/javascript forums. For an example of how to use Elektron Websockets API from browser, please download and try the interactive guide package, as described in the quick start guide.

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.