question

Upvotes
Accepted
1 0 0 2

How to get started building a dataset?

I have recently acquired access to Eikon through my university.

I want to do tests on historical data from Denmark specifically. Since I can only get access from a desktop computer at uni, I am thinking I should download all the data I need and then I can work with it at home - probably in Python, since I know a bit of python.

My question is how I should get started doing this? I would like to get all the data on danish stocks for at least 10 years back and then be able to sort the data for my individual tests, ie. on market cap, volume etc.

It looks like other people use excel a lot. It seems to me the easiest would be to specify what data I need in the Eikon platform and then download that as one file.

So some more questions would be:

-Should I be accessing the data through excel?
- I know CRSP is famous for avoiding survivorship bias, but can I expect some of the same from Eikon?
-If my plan is to work with the data in python, is there something I should be aware of when download the data?

I hope my questions make sense. It has been difficult to find good explanations of these things.

PS: I'm not sure if this should be in the Datastream forum or where it fits best

datadatastream-apidsws-api
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @simon.rasmussen,

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?
If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,
AHS

@simon.rasmussen

Hi,

Thank you for your participation in the forum.

Are any of the replies below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If yes please click the 'Accept' text next to the most appropriate reply. If you have an answer, please share your answer, and then accept it. This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Otherwise please post again offering further insight into your question.

Thanks,

AHS

@simon.rasmussen
Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and has been marked as such.
Thanks,
-AHS

Upvotes
Accepted

You can do it in Excel, you can do it in Python - as long as the data stays on your desktop :)

Are you looking for current active Danish stocks or also for stocks that are already 'dead'? I am guessing for the latter one - if you include the data of the dead ones, you will account for the survivorship bias. Also, do you have a specific list of Danish stocks (based on certain criteria) in mind or the OMX Copenhagen? Datastream would definitely work best to include the data of 'dead' series.

https://developers.thomsonreuters.com/eikon-apis/datastream-web-service/qa

icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Thanks for the answer!
I want to make sure what you mean by the first part - is it a license thing that the data must only be used on the machine that has access?
You are right, I am interested in avoiding survivorship bias as much as possible. Ideally, I would like to select some data and then have all returned all stocks that are or have been in existence since that given date. But maybe that's not possible? In that case, should I somehow acquire a list of stocks in existence at the beginning date? If that is the case I guess I might miss companies that had a later IPO and then delisted.

I especially want to look at small and medium cap danish stocks. But again, ideally I would like to have data on all stocks and then later filter - to enable me to analyze for instance momentum as a function of market cap.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote

Yep - licensing. Though I assume you need it solely for research purpose, so you seem covered. Up to you how you retrieve data.

Why I was asking - because in Datastream you can look up indices and its historical constituents. Best to use OMXC - LCOSEASH (about 134 constituents). Of that index, you can retrieve the constituents of any month by using LCOSEASH0118 (logic is LCOSEASHMMYY) for example. So, not only you can retrieve the constituents as of a particular date, but also the changes in between. Hope this helps!

icon clock
10 |1500

Hi Teodorora,

the code LCOSEASHMMYY it is only for the datastream with Python?

Because so far I have access only for DFO and I would like to have the historical constituent list for the FTSE all Share from 1965 till 2020, for each month. I have seen that I can retrieve the joiners and the leavers but it would be much easier to have a function in Excel that retrieves already for a given month all the constituents of the index.

Thank you very much.

Kevin

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Thanks again for the answer. I am moving towards an idea of how to approach this - I have an okay experience level with Excel, but none with Eikon.

It seems like a primitive way to go at it then could be checking when the list of constituents changes, something like this:

LCOSEASHMMYY-LCOSEASHMMYY

I assume it returns a list and I can then step forward the date in the first term and see when something gets delisted. Then I can call the data I need for the initial list of constituents from beginning of test period until first change. Then repeat this until next change.
I would then only need to put it together, so that each equity forms a timeseries through all the time it is listed.
But maybe there is something way simpler.

I have looked around a lot, and there are some tutorials for simple things like downloading data for one stock. But I haven't found much about setting up a proper dataset and avoiding survivorship bias etc - thus all my questions here.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvote
39.4k 77 11 27

You can get the list of joiners and leavers for the OMX Copenhagen Stock Exchange's All-Share Index for the last 10 years using

=TR(".OMXCPI","TR.IndexJLConstituentChangeDate;TR.IndexJLConstituentName;TR.IndexJLConstituentRIC;TR.IndexJLConstituentComName","EDate=-10Y CH=Fd")
icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 0

Hello,
I'm a student at Clarke University - Business Adminidtration major and I need to backtest a strategy on the Norwegian stockmarket for my project. How can I create a dataset of numerous agencies arranged by financials, ratios, etc.? I'm also confused about an automatic data transfer. So that I could transfer the information easily between my SQL-database and the Reuters Eikon Monitor App.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
1 0 0 2

Hi Deifell

Did you figure out a solution and get on with your project?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.