question

Upvotes
Accepted
18 0 0 3

.NET Refinitiv Data - AWS queue configurability

Hi, we are using this example https://github.com/LSEG-API-Samples/Example.DataLibrary.DotNet/blob/main/src/3.%20Delivery/3.3-Queue/3.3.02-Queue-NewsStories/3.3.02-Queue-NewsStories.cs to create queues for messages.

I was wondering how much control we have over the queue and its behavior, e.g. is there a way of acknowledging a message that we have processed? I cannot see any interface for that in the library.

#technology#productnewsc#.netaws
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
Accepted
18.9k 85 39 63

Hi @lukasz.druczak,

There are no AWS examples in .Net that was created - I basically followed documentation/examples to work with queues I created using the RDP endpoints and utilized the AWS libraries to extract messages from the queues.

The Message Queue URLs provide the details to retrieve, create and delete queues within AWS. For example:

1720013345625.png

And when you create a queue, you are given details like this:

1720013911440.png

From here, I would begin to utilize the AWS libraries to pull down details from the queues. I do nothing special to queues as I don't control the configuration of them.

In general, when you create a queue you simply pull off messages at your leisure. However, as expected, there will be some sort of limit as to the number of messages can exist in the queue before the old ones are removed in favor of more recent ones.

Regarding details like:

"How is the queue configured"?

"How many messages does it keep"?

"How long does it live"

Are not managed or configured by the library. These are policies entirely managed by the platform. If you need these level of details, the best resource is to open a helpdesk ticket and they will bring in a backend person to provide these details.

If you want to work with the library and the message queues yourself, you can certainly do this. For example, you can utilize the delivery layer that provides the mechanism to work with the message queue endpoints. What this will do is allow you to: create, retrieve and delete queues within AWS using the EndpointRequest.Definition(). For example, you can retrieve a queue using one of the endpoints and when you have the queue details returned to you, you can begin using the AWS libraries to retrieve messages from the queue. Note: this is a rather ambitious approach and I would recommend you figure out exactly why you need to do this. It's unclear to me what additional details/configuration you need to perform given you have no control over how queues are created in the backend.

1720013345625.png (85.4 KiB)
1720013911440.png (23.1 KiB)
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
18.9k 85 39 63

Hi @lukasz.druczak

There is no direct control of the underlying queue - unless you choose to use Amazons Queue Libraries (AWSSDK.Core, AWSSDK.SQS) directly.

Regarding message acknowledgement, what the library does is delete the message from the queue. In Amazon SQS, acknowledging a message is done by deleting the message.

Hope this helps.

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
18 0 0 3

Hi @nick.zincone, thank you for your prompt answer.

Can you shed some more light on how the underlying queue is configured? If we create a queue and do not delete it - how long does it live? Ho much messages can it keep?

Regarding the Amazons Queue Libraries - how can we make use of them together with RDP? Do you maybe have an example of such solution?

icon clock
10 |1500

Upvotes
18 0 0 3

Hi, @nick.zincone

Have you had a chance to look at my query?

icon clock
10 |1500

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.