question

Upvotes
Accepted
16 2 5 7

RDP RICs and Topics codes

We are using the RDP stories API to retrieve stories with the following call:

GET https://api.refinitiv.com/data/news/v1/stories/{storyId}

We then read the field "subject" and "assert" to find the subjects of the story, and have the following questions:

• Is it safe to make use of the news2000 codes with the prefix "N2:"? Are news2000 codes going to be deprecated? Should we use RCS codes instead? Is there mapping from all the news2000 codes to all the RCS codes?
  • "assert.organisationDetails.hasInstrument._symbol" contains RICs. Shall we make use of it? What is the difference between "assert.organisationDetails.hasInstrument._symbol" and "assert.sameAs._qcode"?
rdp-apiricsnewsrdpnews-topic-code-list
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Hello @pevangelidis

Thank you for your participation in the forum. Is the reply below satisfactory in resolving your query?

If so please can you click the 'Accept' text next to the appropriate reply? This will guide all community members who have a similar question.

Thanks,

AHS

@pevangelidis

Hi,

Please be informed that a reply has been verified as correct in answering the question, and marked as such.

Thanks,

AHS

Upvotes
Accepted
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @pevangelidis and all,

Additional insight from our news product expert:

• Is it safe to make use of the news2000 codes with the prefix "N2:"? Are news2000 codes going to be deprecated? Should we use RCS codes instead? Is there mapping from all the news2000 codes to all the RCS codes?

While RCS and N2 codes are both currently supported, the RCS topic codes are deemed more strategic and have additional attached metadata such as confidence scores and provenance. Link to RDP news metadata with RCS to N2 code: https://my.refinitiv.com/content/dam/myrefinitiv/products/11528/en/Technical/630848.xlsx

• "assert.organisationDetails.hasInstrument._symbol" contains RICs. Shall we make use of it? What is the difference between "assert.organisationDetails.hasInstrument._symbol" and "assert.sameAs._qcode"?

For public and private company identification we would suggest leveraging the permId of the organization identified with prefix ‘P:’. Under the has instruments for public companies the primary news RIC code will be provided, but RICs can change and in actuality the RIC is a quote level identifier and there can be many RICs aligned to a organization. The sameAs code is typical for topic codes, where the RCS code

Same as example:

"_creator": "rftResRef:sys24",
        "_how": "howextr:tool",
        "_qcode": "M:2DZ",
        "_why": "why:inferred",
        "sameAs": [
          {
            "_qcode": "N2:PUBL"
          }
        ],
        "name": [
          {
            "$": "Public Company News"

PermId example:

•{
•        "_qcode": "P:4295904307",
•        "name": [
•          {
•            "$": "International Business Machines Corp"
•          }
•        ],
•        "type": [
•          {
•            "_qcode": "cptType:8"
•          }
•        ],
•        "organisationDetails": [
•          {
•            "hasInstrument": [
•              {
•                "_symbol": "IBM.N",
•                "_symbolsrc": "symSrc:TR",
•                "_type": "symType:RIC"
•              }
•            ]
•          }
•        ]
•      }
•    ],
icon clock
10 |1500

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Upvotes
32.2k 40 11 20

Hello @pevangelidis,

The currently active news codes and the map to RCS codes can be reviewed at https://my.refinitiv.com/content/mytr/en/product/machine-readable-news.html->Machine Readable News - News codes

Please see former News 2000 codes in columns B and C mapped to the current codes in column A. I would suggest to use the current news codes.

On your second question, I would suggest to review RDP News User Guide look for section"assert". I do not see any description or reference for assert.organisationDetails. If you are looking to cover partially related RICs, I would go with assert-> _qcode, as described.

icon clock
10 |1500

I will also try to obtain additional clarification on this, with our product experts. If new information becomes available, I will update it into this discussion.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.